Sign in to follow this  
Sharez

Profile Relocation

Sorry to be so dumb ,

but I want to keep my Arma profile /user missions folder in the Bohemia Interactive folder and not in My Docs,  

I like to keep C drive for business and Games in D drive

cannot see how to alter it. [i have the Czech edition]

Any help would be appreciated

Quote from this Text:

Quote[/b] ]For my article, there are two important folders:

1) The ArmA-Profiles folder, usually located in your windows user's 'Own Files' (default 'C:\Documents and Settings\%UserName%\Own Files\ArmA' and '\ArmA Other Profiles'). I will refer to it simply as %profiles%-folder

2) The ArmA-folder itself (default 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\') where your 'ArmA.exe' and/or 'ArmA_Server.exe' are in. I will call it %arma%-folder. For reference: on my PC ArmA is installed to 'D:\ArmA\ArmA.exe'.

General Suggestion

I suggest you use the '%arma%\Users' folder, for profiles, just like OFP automatically did. But you do not have to do that. It's just that you save a lot of time browsing around on your system and got all your ArmA stuff in one folder. Aesthetics :-)

If you want to use the '%arma%\Users' folder, you always have to specify the "-profiles=%arma%\Users" ('D:\ArmA\Users' on my system) startup parameter.

Copy all files from the old %profiles% folder ('...\Own Files\ArmA' and '...\Own Files\ArmA Other Profiles') together into the new '%arma%\Users' folder.

There should be a 'ArmA.cfg' there and a folder for each user.

can probably be found somewhere in the biki too.

My Documents is the right place for games to store user-specific data as default setting. Many applications fail to operate because of insufficient folder permissions when they stubbornly try to write files somewhere else. I've seen too many applications which fail to do this right. Luckily ArmA isn't one of them. So ArmA does The Right Thing by default.

Just a comment, nothing more smile_o.gif

/mumbles why use privileges on a game pc... are their kids malicious by nature or something...

Though perhaps you're right. Games need to bow down to microsoft's bloated privilege and security systems, of course...

Many games have assumed admin rights because of their copyright protections though.

anywho, I'm very glad we were given the option:

shortcut:

"F:\games\Armed Assault\arma.exe" "-profiles=F:\games\Armed Assault\user\" -nosplash

I had to use quotes around "-profiles.." too for paths with spaces.

enjoy

Thanks psycosmos, and for the link,  just what I needed.

As regards Baddos comments

fine if you are happy with it,

but I am just a control freak in the sense my C drive is  totally non games and by default I change the C to D on any game I install. [better for defragging and such like]

OFP folders are running at 14 gig so I have no idea what arma will end up at

From laziness it is easier to archive  game mods on dvd when it is all together.

You can also relocate the whole Windows user profile folder away from its default location. If you want that is.

Wamingo, by restricting the usage of an administrator account on your computer, you can seriously limit the damage malware can do to your operating system. That is the main reason why you should not use an account with full privileges but instead make the users of your computer use different accounts with restricted privileges. Unrestricted account is meant to be used only for installing programs and doing maintenance work. It was very bad decision from Microsoft to not make this very clear for people during the installation process of Windows XP (they call it convenience or something, but think about all the viruses, is that convenient?).

Users are of course free to ignore the added security of using restricted accounts.

I know many many people use their computer as non-restricted user but it shouldn't be so. Not a question of what your family members can do, its a question of what the Evil people at the Internet can and will do if they possibly can.