Sign in to follow this  
Dudester

Question about widescreen

I have an Lcd 32" wide screen televison that i play this game on. So far i have been using the normal 4:3 in the video options, but am i suppose to be using the widescreen 16:9 with widescreen?

The normal 4:3 fills the full screen, as does the widescreen 16:9 its just the 16.9 looks a little squashed, or is that because i have got used to playing in 4:3. Any help would be appreciated.

I wondered for a long time, just like you did. The only answer I seemed to find is that there is a square inside a circle below the option menu on the screen size. I chose the option that gives a square square!

I wondered for a long time, just like you did. The only answer I seemed to find is that there is a square inside a circle below the option menu on the screen size. I chose the option that gives a square square!

Ok i have switched it to 16:10 but i'm still unsure if this is what i am suppose to be using on a wide sceen Lcd television. Can anyone else help out here.

Borrowing the thread a bit....

When playing on a widescreen should i use a wide-format such as 1280x720 or can i use 1024x768?

Does it make any difference with regards to fps?

I mean i can select 16:9 or 16:10 but if i use 1024x768 does arma "scale" it to a wide-format and does that affect my fps?

I'd expect the manual for your TV to describe the aspect ratio. If you don't have the manual, a google search would probably find the information. If all else fails, get a tape measure and measure the width of the picture area by the height. Divide the width by height. A number near 1.6 indicates 16:10. Nearer 1.8 indicates 16:9. 1.3 indicates 4:3 ! As ejanvi said, if your squares look square and your circles are circular you have it right. Another quick visual check is to fire up one of the sniper missions and switch to optics view - you should be presented with a large circle that you can use for reference. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Another quick visual check is to fire up one of the sniper missions and switch to optics view

..except that doesn't give a circle on my widescreen monitor. Looks like another bug report....

Borrowing the thread a bit....

When playing on a widescreen should i use a wide-format such as 1280x720 or can i use 1024x768?

Does it make any difference with regards to fps?

I mean i can select 16:9 or 16:10 but if i use 1024x768 does arma "scale" it to a wide-format and does that affect my fps?

Widescreen monitor or TV? If monitor what size?

Quote[/b] ]

Widescreen monitor or TV? If monitor what size?

Widescreen monitor, Samsung Syncmaster 205BW, 20" TFT .

Ok i have switched it to 16:10 but i'm still unsure if this is what i am suppose to be using on a wide sceen Lcd television. Can anyone else help out here.

Whats your tv:s native resolution? I bet its 1366x768 as most 32" lcd:s are. Derive this 1366/768 you get approx. 1.78.

Now 16/10 is 1.6 and 16/9 is approx 1.78 so 16:9 is the aspect ratio you should use. Now you get perfect circles&squares.

Whats your tv:s native resolution? I bet its 1366x768 as most 32" lcd:s are. Derive this 1366/768 you get approx. 1.78.

Now 16/10 is 1.6 and 16/9 is approx 1.78 so 16:9 is the aspect ratio you should use. Now you get perfect circles&squares.

Thanks for the advice, but i am using 16:10. It gives me a perfect square and circle. It is a 32" Lcd with res of 1366x768, but for some reason with the screen at 16:9 it doesn't give a perfect square and the screen looks squashed.

I've got a widescreen LCD monitor and it states the best resolution for my desktop is 1680 x 1050.

What i would like to know is what resolution should i use ingame as 1680 x 1050 seems a little extreme. I've tried other resolutions but either i lose alot of quality (mainly the text) or the image doesn't adjust correctly. What other true widescreen resoultions are there.

I'm also using 16:10 settings, as this seems to be the better aspect.

I've got a widescreen LCD monitor and it states the best resolution for my desktop is 1680 x 1050.

What i would like to know is what resolution should i use ingame as 1680 x 1050 seems a little extreme. I've tried other resolutions but either i lose alot of quality (mainly the text) or the image doesn't adjust correctly. What other true widescreen resoultions are there.

16:10 is the way to go for you.

If you don't want to use 1680x1050, try one of the following:

1440x900 (16:10)

1280x800 (16:10)

If you don't have such res, you should be able to add them in your gfx card driver.

I tried all those on my Samsung 205BW, 1680x1050 still looks the best as it is the native res of this tft.

MfG Lee

1680 x 1050 is very extreme indeed. I'm supprised you can even play the game at that resolution. I play it 1024 x 768 because i have a geforce 7800Gts. Not may people will play it above 1280 x 768 as they will get a massive performance hit.

1680 x 1050 is very extreme indeed. I'm supprised you can even play the game at that resolution. I play it 1024 x 768 because i have a geforce 7800Gts. Not may people will play it above 1280 x 768 as they will get a massive performance hit.

Oh no! Theres your problem and reason why 16:9 doesn't look right! You can't or should not play with a resolution different from the tv:s native. Not only it stretches the image to a wrong aspect ratio but it also blurs it because of scaling so you get really low quality picture  confused_o.gif

Do you also use 1024x768 in Windows desktop? Please try to change it to 1360x768 which should be available with nvidia and most 32" LCD tv:s. I promise the quality impromevent will be massive.

As for Mr. Reality, 16:10 is the correct one, because 1680/1050=1.6

I run a 32" LCD, 1600x1024 looks great at 16:9, run at 40 fps on a 8800.

Either SLI another 7800 if you have a SLI mobo or buy a 8800 GTS or even GTX. ARMA runs like a dream on the 8800 with all eye-candy and you will see the detail at 1600 res.

1024 is fine, 1600 with AA and eye candy on a 32" is like being there!

Both my 32" inch LCD's are rated at 1360x768 native screens but both can do the 1600 res and be pin sharp as well as the 1360 res!

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 206BW which is a 20" widescreen and I'm running it in 16:10 1280x960x32 at 60hz (seems the maximum in Windows too even though I've installed the monitor drivers and Windows Update even installed more recent ones).

This is also the resolution I use in Windows because it seems the best aspect ratio.

1680x1050x32 works fine too, just don't like it in Windows because everything becomes too small.

Everything else in game is set to very high.

This is my config:

- NEC ND7170 BLACK DVDRW 18x 8xDL Bulk

- Antec NSK6000 Silver/Black Midi Tower

- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer 24-bit - 192 kHz - 7.1 channel surround - PCI

- Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS S775 Fsb1333 Q nF680I SLI CK804 4DDRII800 2Pe16@16&@8 2Pe 2P A 2GBL R 6S2 ATA133 2*1394A

- Asus EN8800GTX/HTDP/768MB TV-Out, Dual DVI, HDTV, DX10 PCIe

- Western Digital 320GB WD3200KS CAVIAR SE SATA II 8.9MS 7200RPM 16MB

- Coolermaster 650W ExtremePower ATX2

- Intel CORE 2 DUO E6700 2.67GHZ S775 FSB1066 4MB CACHE BOXED

- Corsair TWIN2X1024-6400 1024MB DDR2 800Mhz 2X62MX64 TwinX, Matched P,C5, DDR2 (I have for bars like this which makes it 4GB in total)

- Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2

I was a bit worried at first reading all those topics that people were having trouble with their 8800 card in this game but tbh, it works perfect and no more texture popping nor loosing textures after playing more then 10 min like I had with my previous comp.

Neither do I see that white fog in the distance that people were talking about.

Btw, I'm using all the latest drivers and specifically for my graphic card the 97.92 ones.

This was my previous one:

- Plextor PX-712A 12x+R 4x+RW 8x-R 4x-RW DVD±RW

- AOpen H700A

- Enermax 600W NOISETAKER PSU

- Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 200GB 7200RPM 8MB SATA/150 HDD

- AOpen Aeolus GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB (AGP)

- Asus A8V Deluxe Wireless edition

- AMD Athlon 64 3500+

- Geil 2GB twin match value select PC3200 400 Mhz

- Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

- Windows XP Pro SP2

Also had the latest drivers for everything on this one.

Sorry I've put so much info in my post but it might be interesting for some to know.

"I went round my friends house and saw him playing ARMA on his 5k Alienware PC monster quad core SLI Big Rig, ran to shops came home installed it on my modern Sempron 1700+ with a Geforce FX and it look crap, why?".

"The GFX in ARMA are no better than OP:FP"

"I'm running ARMA at 800x600 at 60fps on my 15" monitor, why you guys trying to run it 1600+ res that's daft..."

"Whats Anti Alias"

A selection of may fav comments so far about why some us know ARMA looks good and are trying to play it HD res with eye candy.

True because once you go HD res you can't go back  wink_o.gif

The game looks amazing this way and its like you said, its like you are really there.

You have to see it this way to know that its nowhere near the graphics of OFP.

Now I only play it in 1680x1050x32 and there are no words to describe what I get to see on screen.

Did the same thing with Oblivion after I installed some graphic enhancement mods (although there's a big difference already with the vanilla game) and I was like  wow_o.gif

rofl.gif

I would just like to answer some previous question. Yes, widescreen rendering does impact the frame rate. It drags it down. I'm running a 37 inch widescreen TV 1366x768. I normally play in 1024x768 but the game will play in widescreen format at 16:9.

why you guys trying to run it 1600+ res that's daft..."

Simply put, i have no other choice. If i try and lower my resolution from 1680x1050 i get a blury picture and the text is not right. Maybe it's because i have a LCD monitor and the advised reosolution is the 1680. I don't like to even have it as my desktop resoluiton but it's the only one that works...

I would just like to answer some previous question. Yes, widescreen rendering does impact the frame rate. It drags it down. I'm running a 37 inch widescreen TV 1366x768. I normally play in 1024x768 but the game will play in widescreen format at 16:9.

16:9 imp'acts ARMA about 20% on the fps. But then as long as you have a good machine the extra FOV is worth it.

16:9 imp'acts ARMA about 20% on the fps. But then as long as you have a good machine the extra FOV is worth it.

I concur. The FOV increase is well worth any minimal drop in FPS. If you run SLI, the trade-off is minimal; esp. when you balance off the graphic settings very slightly for speed. I am running 2560x1600 (3007 HD) now; it would be very, very hard to go back to anything smaller now. I was kinda of surprised at the plethora of widescreen settings AA has built in already which made setup gravy 3 weeks back.

Whenever Nvidia will release some decent drivers for Vista, I'm sure the performance will go up even more.