Sign in to follow this  
zinc

AI Does some wacky things

While designing an 'ambush the convoy' multiplayer level in the ArmA editor, I decided to test ways the player could possibly use for holding up a convoy of vehicles and what the outcome would be.

I found a suitable 'choke point' on a coast road and placed two buses across the road to block the route. Imagine my surprise when the convoy didn't turn around to find an alternative route across land. they simply swerved off the cliff and into the water, destroying the entire convoy of vehicles in the process.

I mean, would two buses really stop four T72s and two Shilkas? No, they'd simply plough straight through them.

Besides that, why didn't they simply find another route?

I hope these AI issues will be resolved soon.

Tell you an even better one than that!

Playing one of the SP missions, where you fly the Cobra and have to destroy a convoy also -can't remember it's name...? Anyway, i positioned myself between these cliffs and the road running right below me. The road came around a very sharp turn up ahead (thinking as soon as they appear i can pick them off!wink_o.gif Well, no sooner had i even locked them up one-by-one for my gunner to engage. They just went straight over the cliff into the sea -just like yours!!

I said this in a previous post, but the AI in ArmA has had a lobotomy, compaired to OFP! (certainly as far as vehicle driving is concerned)

Tell you an even better one than that!

Playing one of the SP missions, where you fly the Cobra and have to destroy a convoy also -can't remember it's name...? Anyway, i positioned myself between these cliffs and the road running right below me. The road came around a very sharp turn up ahead (thinking as soon as they appear i can pick them off!wink_o.gif Well, no sooner had i even locked them up one-by-one for my gunner to engage. They just went straight over the cliff into the sea -just like yours!!

I said this in a previous post, but the AI in ArmA has had a lobotomy, compaired to OFP! (certainly as far as vehicle driving is concerned)

Yes, I seem to remember that the AI in OFP seemed more intelligent in that respect, if that's the right word to use.

What's the problem with checking angles/gradients internally for computer controlled vehicles? that would at least stop them from commiting suicide. In my opinion, AI should take the easiest possible route to the next waypoint however much of a detour is involved, providing the object blocking their path can't be moved physically.

We live in hope.