Sign in to follow this  
Rough Knight

Adjust  joystick forcefeedback level?

Hi guys,

Bug tracker link. Please vote if you have the issue or would like to be able to adjust forcefeedback level in ARMA2 somehow.

Does anyone know how to adjust Forcefeedback for this game, even through a text editor would be fine.

My feedback is set to high in "Control Panel"_"Game Devices" etc and is at a good level for a game like CFS3 for example. This game I can feel it ....but it is no way near heavy enough.

There are joystick sensitivity settings in your ARMA.profile file but I dont think they relate to forcefeedback.

Thanks again

Frosty.

Edited by Rough Knight

Hi guys,

Me again, I've been extremly patient waiting for an answer or even a hint of somewhere to look for such settings, but no such luck. I can accept that this is the way it will be most likely, but I don't believe that there is no solution to adjusting FF level in ARMA. Therefore any help or direction where to start looking would be much appreciated by me for one

Is there a file ie..the Air.Pbo etc that contains joystick forcefeedback parameters.

I know a few guys with the same stick that have very low levels of force-feedback. It is absolutely game specific..ie it works perfectly from a strength point of view in almost all other FF games I know of.

Thanks again

Frosty.

you can adjust the force feedback in windows itself, in the control panel=> game controllers, select your joystick, click properties.

Then at the bottom of the screen you have a settings button where you can adjust the force feedback.

I hope that will help smile_o.gif

I have tried that unfortunately. The Forcefeedback settings are set to 100%.

My joystick works fine, the forcefeedback rocks in other games, its what makes flying feel realistic. The choppers don't vibrate very much and the return to centre tension is next to nothing in ARMA. There has to be a way.

Thanks anyway.

Frosty

eeep, how did i miss this topic huh.gif

I indeed feel and done what j_frost mentioned.

In ARMA the Force Feedback should be improved.(also in the past with OFP)

I have all joystick's settings at max and i would like to add more Force Feedback and feeling while piloting choppers and planes.

This is what i use:

microsoftjoy1.jpg

I also don't feel enough force in the joystick while piloting planes and choppers in Armed Assault, ie, while doing normal and extreme maneuvers i don't have the right feeling.. as if the chopper/plane was not feeling any "G's"

Why doesn't it work properlly?

Should it be improved in ARMA?

Can it be improved?

^

Bravo6;..I got the same stick and are very satisfied with it.

(In other games as well; rather more so)

Except the controller software does not work any longer with

XP SP2 (recording, ect. the soft crashes)

For profiles, the only workaround is an VM with '98 or W2K

installed, recording profile and then copy over to XP; NOT

very convenient)

Do you have the same behaviour, that when you startup ArmA,

the stick sometimes *violently* starts shaking/vibrating?

(If I touch it, it stops)

Does this indicate, there *is* some level of FF implemented in

ArmA, but not correctly?

While flying, there seems to be no FF or much too weak( using

XPs inbuild FF controls, which are shite).

What do you think?

I also have a Sidewinder FF2. Great joystick, but my rudder stopped working and I've replaced it with the crappy Logitech Force 3D Pro. You'd have thought the top of the range joystick from Logitech would be good sad_o.gif

Dunno why the rudder broke, it's not ArmA as it does it in Windows too. It just suddenly happened while playing ArmA.

Since some of you own the FF2, would you have any idea what I can do to fix it? Warranty is out of the question as it's pretty old, and I already have a replacement but I am not satisfied with it.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but I don't know where to get help about this.

More on topic: Adjusting it in Windows is your only option ATM. Does your joystick have software that you can use to make profiles for games? That way you can have a seperate setting for ArmA.

Do you have the same behaviour, that when you startup ArmA,

the stick sometimes *violently* starts shaking/vibrating?

(If I touch it, it stops)

No i never saw that happen with my joystick. I can configure it in windows XP Pro with SP2. Don't know if it works on other games since arma is my only game installed on computer.

But im sure the joystick works fines in the force feedback settings software.

I also have a Sidewinder FF2. Great joystick, but my rudder stopped working and I've replaced it with the crappy Logitech Force 3D Pro. You'd have thought the top of the range joystick from Logitech would be good sad_o.gif

Dunno why the rudder broke, it's not ArmA as it does it in Windows too. It just suddenly happened while playing ArmA.

your rudder stoped working in Armed Assault only?

If yes, you have to add it in arma settings, because they are not selected in default arma! i had the same problem, but found that in arma they did not put any control selected. Please check! wink_o.gif

(right pedal, left pedal.)

More on topic: Adjusting it in Windows is your only option ATM. Does your joystick have software that you can use to make profiles for games? That way you can have a seperate setting for ArmA.

I did adjust it in windows and created a Armed Assault file for its force feedback, i put all to max.. in windows i feel all force feedback very good and strong.. more then i want for sure.. but in arma as if they dont even exist.

I feel something in arma but very ver very.. smooth. When i take up with heli.. i feel some very smooth tremble.. but very poor.

Thats why i would like BIS to improve these special realistic feelings. smile_o.gif

edit: @troop

edit2:

WarWolf @ May 18 2007,22:02)]There is a setting lurking in your.ArmAProfile file down in your my documents.

controller="Default";

vibrations=0;

class ControllerSchemes

{

};

Is that related? Can't test as not got FF stick.

look what i found in other thread

dont know what exactly it does.. confused_o.gif

PS- there are some Joystick thread arround in the forum, would be nice to keep just this thread or other more serious with more usefull info. (this thread could be The One for this case)

your rudder stoped working in Armed Assault only?

If yes, you have to add it in arma settings, because they are not selected in default arma! i had the same problem, but found that in arma they did not put any control selected. Please check! wink_o.gif

(right pedal, left pedal.)

No, I said the problem first started when I was playing ArmA (in the middle of an MP game), but doesn't work at all since then. Not even in Windows. Seems like something broke inside. Already tried uninstalling the Sidewinder drivers and using the WinXP default ones. It didn't help. I'll give it a try on another PC when I get the chance, since so far it seems like the problem is with the joystick itself.

My Logitech joystick works perfectly in ArmA, including the rudder. It's just that it isn't such a great joystick and I would prefer to use the old FF2.

just saw my armaprofile file (C:\Documents and Settings\bravo 6\Os meus documentos\ArmA)

and at the bottom i had this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">controller="Default";

vibrations=1;

class ControllerSchemes

{

};

how could i improve the forcefeedback?

Why is there the "Default" name, and can i change that default into what instead?

Maddmatt;..just recently I openend my stick to clean up some spilt

coke from one of the base buttons that caused it to got stuck.

(careful with the screws;..special ones, easily messed up without

'special' screwdriver! )

Do you have some radio store (not sure, if its called by that name)

nearby, where you can put your stick to have the poti responsible

for the rudder checked/measured?

It should be fairly easy to find some replacement part and not too

expensive as well. This stick definetely is worth it.

-

The controller software (recording buttons, define delays, ect)

unfortunally doesnt work anymore as it was written for W98

and MS (are you MAD? ) decided to never update it for XP

whyever. Short after market release, they shut down hardware

development for those sticks. idiots ! One of the best quality stick ever. imo; of course.

Thanks for the info. By the way, the Win98 software for it actually does work in XP. Only problem I noticed is that you can't set 'return to centre tension' to anything but high. Haven't tested the recording buttons though, didn't use them.

It is pretty sad that MS stopped making them, one of their stupidest decisions ever sad_o.gif

If I have to open up the stick, I wont know what to do tounge2.gif . Maybe when I have time I'll try, to see if I can do anything. Need a screwdriver that can take out those screws though. Seems MS really didn't want people to open it.

By the way, how do I find the potentiometer for the rudder and what does it look like?

Thanks for the info. By the way, the Win98 software for it actually does work in XP. Only problem I noticed is that you can't set 'return to centre tension' to anything but high. Haven't tested the recording buttons though, didn't use them.

Yeah, the software itself starts and tension settings still work;..

just if you try to use the 'recorder' register chart, it crashes

(joy.cpl)

Quote[/b] ]

If I have to open up the stick, I wont know what to do tounge2.gif . Maybe when I have time I'll try, to see if I can do anything. Need a screwdriver that can take out those screws though. Seems MS really didn't want people to open it.

Yes again. Well, it was fairly easy to open with enough downpressure

and 'normal' screwdriver. But;..you *should* replace the 3 center base

screws with the same type of normal screws. You may be surprised just how

sturdy this thing is inside. Really good quality! And only 2 more

normal screws inside to get to the base buttons.

Quote[/b] ]

By the way, how do I find the potentiometer for the rudder and what does it look like?

I did not especially look after that one, but if you wish, I open it up again and tell you..? The rest of screws is under the rubber pads;..keep 'em. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

I did not especially look after that one, but if you wish, I open it up again and tell you..? The rest of screws is under the rubber pads;..keep 'em. smile_o.gif

I've managed to take the base cover off, so could you please tell me? A picture of it if necessary. Once I've found it I think I can manage the rest on my own. smile_o.gif

I think I may have found the problem. I opened up the handle, and it appears that a small pink wire isn't connected to the circuit board (the bigger, bottom one), the solder connection must have snapped. I will need to get it fixed and test it.

After some work, I have fixed it biggrin_o.gif

It was that pink wire in the handle that was causing the problem.

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Thanks, troop, you helped convince me to open this thing up. Now I will be able to land properly and wont have much difficulty sending perfectly aimed FFARs into the enemy pistols.gif

Now my favorite joystick works perfectly again biggrin_o.gif

good. smile_o.gif

can we get on topic now?

how can we have a better force feedback in Armed Assault? (its there sometimes but very smoth and incomplete)

good. smile_o.gif

can we get on topic now?

how can we have a better force feedback in Armed Assault? (its there sometimes but very smoth and incomplete)

On my Logitech stick the force feedback was very noticeable (and seemed alright), but on the FF2 it is much weaker. The force feedback motors may have weakened with age.

Maybe a feature request for a force feedback strength setting should be posted on the bugtracker. Personally I would like to turn the force feedback up a bit. It was enough for the Logitech stick, but not enough for the FF2.

Hey Chaps,

I waited 3 months or more for someone to reply to this topic..now its getting spammed : P

Yo Matty..I don't think its a problem with your motors..check out below.

I have the same joystick, the microsoft sidewinder force feedback 2, as does my bro. We all seem to experience the same issue.

I'm glad its not only me however.....someone else feels my pain. I love flying but the FF needs to be tweaked somehow.

Whats the thoughts?

Maybe the suggestion about wiki addition to work request may be the best option. Surely someone knows something from BI....please help....pretty please : )

Thanks

Frosty

Yo Matty..I don't think its a problem with your motors..check out below.

I have the same joystick, the microsoft sidewinder force feedback 2, as does my bro. We all seem to experience the same issue.

I'm glad its not only me however.....someone else feels my pain. I love flying but the FF needs to be tweaked somehow.

Whats the thoughts?

Maybe the suggestion about wiki addition to work request may be the best option. Surely someone knows something from BI....please help....pretty please : )

Thanks

Frosty

The bugtracker seems like the best place to post this, since it would require BIS to add the setting to ArmA. Hopefully BIS will give the FF some attention.

I guess the FF motors on the Logitech are just stronger, though they don't seem to be accurate.

Anyway, now that I have no use for that piece of junk Logitech stick I'm gonna try to return it smile_o.gif . The difference is huge, the MS FF2 feels so much better.

If BIS want this game to be as realistic as possible they should also keep an eye on this thread and requests.

I know many players stoped flying due to the old (bugged) flying mode issues, but as seems 1.08 will fix alot of issues, people ill return to the flying mode and im sure they will want to set their force feedback to their tastes.

So BIS would be smart to look for players requests as they did so far smile_o.gif

edit: i personally think that bug tracker is a waste of time mad_o.gif

I waited 3 months or more for someone to reply to this topic..now its getting spammed : P

Well I think not that many people had the game back then (or were constantly playing:) )

Perhaps you better put it into the wishlist? http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Wish_List

I have no problems with my logitech force feedback, I just had to adjust because it was too strong at start(so a bit oppsosite) Nevertheless, it's always nicer if you are able to configure it in game (if possible). Then you don't have to mess around with it if you play another game.

If BIS want this game to be as realistic as possible they should also keep an eye on this thread and requests.

I know many players stoped flying due to the old (bugged) flying mode issues, but as seems 1.08 will fix alot of issues, people ill return to the flying mode and im sure they will want to set their force feedback to their tastes.

So BIS would be smart to look for players requests as they did so far smile_o.gif

edit: i personally think that bug tracker is a waste of time mad_o.gif

The bug tracker is a much better way to organise bugs and feature requests. It's much easier for the developer to to use that than to browse through tons of useless crap on these forums. It saves time. I don't get why you say it's a waste of time, so far it has proved to be helpful.

Since BIS always look at the bugtracker, we know they will see it. Though I'm sure they have seen this too.

The flying mode isn't bugged, it's been alright since 1.04 (maybe 1.02) and has been improving since. Just calling it bugged is nothing but whining and isn't helpful at all.

@Kode: Feature requests are now put on the bug tracker, it has an option for feature requests smile_o.gif