Sign in to follow this  
exec

Alamo

Hello.

I've converted my OFP map 'Alamo' on Nogova for ArmA.

co 14 alamo beta1.sara

Download:

Mirror @ ArmaHolic, thanks to El nino Foxhound:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=757

http://www.freewebs.com/ofpexec/Alamo.zip

(right-click, save as)

Mission: Alamo

Sahrani, 1985.

After many days of fighting and too many casualties, command has decided for our troops to pull out of Sahrani, one squad at a time.

We are one of the last standing outposts on Sahrani, waiting to hear from Yankee-One North Command to give us the signal to extract...

Features:

*Revive Script by Doolittle modified by PRime and Gnat, converted to ArmA by Hailo

*Spectating Script v1.2 Kegetys

*IED Script by Jeevz (used for artillery)

*Various Scripts/Reference from Flashpoint Combat Missions (Strango, Rock)

*Custom Music, Scripts, Pictures, Sounds & Radio

*Time of Day & Weather choice at setup

*Lots of enemies to fight

This is a short (10-15min) hold the fort mission at the Hotel Alamo on Southern Sahrani. No addons required. There is no join in progress, but there is revive respawn. The revive script is a little different from OFP, you will spawn instantly to a ‘loser island’ until somebody revives your corpse. You are then transported back to the battlefield if you get revived. You can only revive 3 times!

The extraction helicopter is on the roof of the building, where the engineer will be busy fixing it - he will let you know when/if its fixed. Defend them both, they are the only way to extract…and try to keep the building from collapsing.

Remember to land on the helopad as instructed by the Yankee-1 Base HQ when you extract.

I had to cut down on a lot of scripts because of the compatibility (scripting language is different), but it still works similar to the original OFP map. The only thing that I couldn't replicate is the randomization of spawning enemy units, actions and movements. The enemy units do not spawn in as they used to, they are only inserted at different times. I also reduced the game length to 10-15 min from about 25-30min because I felt that players that joined after the game started would get bored of waiting and disconnect.

As the name suggests, this is beta. I need feedback any bugs/gameplay issues.

How is the difficulty? Need more/fewer friendly units? Is it too short? Unbalanced? On a dedicated server if I enable playable slots will the revive work for players that join in progress?

There are no known bugs when playing on a private server. I cannot test as extensively as I want to on a dedicated server without my computer crashing (video/sound card problems) or getting team-killed, so any feedback would be much appreciated. This is not an official Arma mission so use at your own risk.

FILE DETAILS:

-------------

Mission created by: exec

Mission Version: beta1

Release Date: 4 Feb 2007

Game mode: Coop, Spots 14 BLUFOR

Addon's required: None

Intro/Outro: Outro

Briefings: Full brieifing, notes & tickable objectives

Created for Arma version: 1.2

INSTALLATION:

-------------

-Extract/move the pbo file to \ArmA\MPMissions folder.

FUTURE PLANS:

-------------

-Better movement for AI/Spawning enemies

-Join in Progress

REVISION NOTES:

----------------

beta1 - 04.Feb.2007 - Initial beta release.

Have Fun,

exec

Cool mission exec!

Here are some things I found that I think should be fixed.

*At the start of the mission there are explosions that go off around the hotel. The problem is that it explodes a set of explosions for every client that is on the server. If we are playing with a few people it feels like we're celebrating the chinese new year and if someone joins in progress while we're trying to make our way north it sets off another set of exploisions. Maybe there is a way to have the server game logic trigger the explosions?

*It's not your fault, but it's difficult to hold any kind of ground in the hotel. Enemies can shoot grenades INSIDE the hotel, along with bullets, spit wads, and huckleberries. Maybe change the position of the start point unit BIS gets this resolved?

*A group of 8 was not able to survive/revive to make it more than 10 min into the mission, I love difficult missions but DANG! I think it would be better if we had real cover.

*Not a bug, but I have to say that I think it's going to be a natural experience for there to be constatnt death matches on Loser Island. Kind neat. smile_o.gif

BTW I LOVE the short music in the beguining. I <3 Full Metal Jacket.

Hi Evilnate, and thanks for the test.

I will change those explosions to gamelogic, and reduce/remove some of the cluster bombs as they do not seem to work well on the dedicated server. I'm surprised you experienced that players that join in progress cause the mortars to fire again since disabledAI is on. I thought that after the game starts, there will not be any AI to spawn into...

I didn't replicate the large base with many objects of cover as in the OFP version. Initially I was concerned that it was too easy with too many objects/cover to hide behind. There are certain spots on that hotel (roof door area, bottom floor lobby window, etc) that are good for cover, but you're right: not useful when a grenade comes in. I will add those objects and especially sandbags set on top of each other to provide some better cover. Removing enemy grenadiers is also a good idea, as well as scouting for a new battleground.

I think some bugs can be sorted out on the revive script to force spectating script when the player gets killed, even though its good to have some target practice on loser island pistols.gif.

I intend on making it possible for join in progress in the future....

Thanks again for the input.