Sign in to follow this  

Crouch

Hey

Scenario:

Good sized town with freindlies scattered about in it, enemies approaching.

Problem: Combat Mode drops every freindly unit to the ground while they prepare for the attack, Aware makes em all stand there.

In a in-town , in-city scenario, the preffered overall position for units holding in preperation for an attack (certainly more visually appealing) would be Crouch, although according to Arma threads regarding this, setUnitPos is broken, and, even if it wasnt, according to Ofp threads regarding this, units set in crouch mode thru SetUnitPos and Anim Crouch used cant do much of anything but sit there, and *maybe* turn and fire on enemies, certainly they cant move.

Guess this is almost a wish post, wish we could just set a units default position to crouch, and let em fly with their ai, but doesent look like its gonna happen.

Im curious still tho, does anyone know if theres a way to really get crouch to work, where units would still move about, but stay in crouched mode? (I know, crazy for even asking this...)

I read in the web that setUnitPos will come back with the forthcoming patch. Wait for the EU-Release wink_o.gif

Regards,

Mr-Murray

There is some strangeness with ArmA: With move-waypoint to forexample fortress 2, units moves in fortress 2 and if in aware-combatmode he stands and empties his magazine to enemies and then lies down... And won't stand up (until he determes that it's safe again) seems that reload-thing has some flaw... Should they lie down then reload and possibly stand-up. As now they reload and lie down. This seems to include buildings too...

However: I've found out one intresting thing in ArmA... Use of Talk-waypoint. If editor places (attaches) talk-waypoint to fortress (or soldier which starts in fortress) man moves there and behaves as he should, some times crounching or lying down then standing up again (in combat-combatmode they stay more in cover than in aware-combatmode).

With 2-or-more-store buildings use of talk-waypoint is more complicated (seems that Talk-waypoint doesn't have specific z-coordination... maybe that makes them to stand up. But i not expert with talk-waypoint, just discodered that one thing). To be sure that they behave as they should, i put to their init-field a command to setpos (this setpos ((nearestbuilding this) buildingpos 4) to certain position, then i give that guy a move waypoint with same buildingpos ([this,1] setwppos ((nearestbuilding this) buildingpos 4). Then i make talk-waypoint with same command ([this,2] setwppos ((nearestbuilding this) buildingpos 4). do the trick and should be enough sure to work.

I don't know why guys lay down and stay down sometimes with this talk-waypoint still... Is there a "in-build timer" with talk-waypoint or something (like suppression) forces them to lay down. That trick works in start of the mission but at some point (which i don't know) "fortified" soldiers starts to lie down and do not rise up to stand. I have this situation where 2 squads are in they fortresses (2 man for every "fortress 2"-object. And every men individual so they aren't in groups) and 3rd squad behind them in forts too (in same way). If i breach the first line and clear (some or all) forts, then 3rd squad seems to go lying down. Attacker has three squads too (so defender isn't outnumbered). Casualities for both sides are heavy at this point and there are lot's of support for both: defender has hummer's with TOWs, both has howitzers and attacker has tanks + automaticgrenadelaunchers in hummers and strykers which all stay back from that fortified line. So is there some kind of general suppression value for both sides which forces in this case the defender to stay low? I can't figure out anything else as defender's supporting arms (howitzers and hummers) are depleted complitely and half or more of it's men are dead.

Hope it didn't get too complicated wink_o.gif and i managed to use understandable english sad_o.gif

It is a bit confusing, but I appreciate the info there Second.

This is in-Use with a large scale mission that uses only groups, so although your method of randomly getting them to crouch could work, it would be massively too complex to do this for this sort of mission, still, appreciate the info, never even heard of the 'talk' waypoint command, so this is kinda interesting.

If any of you guys has played Ghost Recon, youd understand really what im saying here, that Arma should offer the same, where u can set units stance to crouch, and the beauty of the way GR handled that was the units would even move about crouched, and of course crouch at a stop. This would not be as universal or dynamic as allowing groups to just pick their own stance depending on the combat mode/ combat situation (under fire) but still, in a ctiy or town (bagango, Parasio, Corazol) they would look dang good in combat, and editor can adjust stance back to default (default being what it is now with no setUnitPos declared) to his/her liking maybe once units have left the town, etc. Ideally, the mission maker could just take roughly half of a group in a town/city battle and set their stance to crouch, leave the rest to the ai's settings, something like that...

I *think* FFUR mode somehow pulled this off to a degree, as I recall multiple incursions where some units would lie down, and some would crouch under combat situations, even tho it was uncontrolled, I personally really liked the look of it overall, group units under fire no longer looked like ground rats digging for worms...