Sign in to follow this  

Safe Mode

Sorry to bombard forums here with 2 posts, but heres something else

Safe mode seems to do little more than make a group of units bunch up and more/less stare at eachother, they do not fall into formation, in fact will fall out of formation and bunch up looking all different directions. There is no difference also in the way they hold their weapons between safe and aware.

this is kind of a bummer, I mean, if Aware mode allows weapons 'down' in non combat scenarios, then shouldnt Safe put their weapons on back? And although I can kind of understand the scattered formation for Safe mode, they dont really scatter enough, they are so close together that it really looks bad (imho), would be nice to see them scatter more speard apart if this is the default for safe mode. As it is now, id rather just put em always in Aware where they will have same resemblence as safe, except they will be spread out in formation, rather than look like their staring at eachother as if the group has all the sudden bugged or somethin...

Just an observation really, but, aside from Safe mode enabling certain switchmoves to be constant, dont think ill be using it much

Hum... could it be you misread "scattered" for "staggered"? Or am I missing something?

Safe is still useful for eye candy effects, I think. Also, vehicles are more likely to use roads on safe and careless, so they tend to *coughs* find their way through cities more easily.

All of this, of course, with the staple pinch of salt.

actually, its quite simple, regardless of the formation setting, take a group of say 12 units, have them start in aware, then switch their behaviour to safe, of course ull see them move about for 10 secs or so to randomized postions, ull notice that from having a nicely spread out formation they will cluster into a 10 m area, facing all different directions, which tends to be about 30% of them staring at eachother. Of course, set their behaviour back to aware and theyll return to formation.

Also, this has to be done scripted, doing this thru waypoint plans (changing behaviour) *can* error.

I agree its good for eye candy as far as tanks, (crew open hatches, etc), but personally id like to see this 'scattered' randomized look for safe groups spread out more so they dont look like theyre staring blankly at eachother.

Edit//

I want to add that ya, for groups/units moving in patrol, safe is still ideal for them in non combat scenarios, as of course they will walk rather than run, but for stationary groups, imho, the group overall appearance under safe mode to me doesent look right