Sign in to follow this  
MehMan

AH-6 not engaging anything

I have no idea why, but the AH-6 doesn't want to engage anything, no infantry, no armour, no nothing, it just flies around pointlessly and waits for it to be shot down. Why does it do this? I want the AI to kinda support me, but they refuse to do it, they just fly around and wait that they get shot down.

Could it be that I am using 1.01? Or is it just ArmA? Could it be because I am using a seek and destroy waypoint for them?

does it have "open fire, engage at will" in its battle-behaviour ??

sometimes my ah6's own the enemy-armor in eponia sometimes they get banged hard by the shilkas or infantry-aa ...

or give it a wider placement-radius

Yeah, it has those. I've seen them engage enemy armour only once so far.

Oh i hope i'm wrong but it could have the same problem the VBS1 aussie M1 tank has. Which is, it dosn't engage enemy units. It's only usable for multiplayer. I'm sure it's just an incorrect line in the config somewhere but i'm no expert when it comes to configs.

Could be, time to peek in the config.

Gar, this sucks for me, could be that it's just a 1.01 version problem that has been fixed in 1.02. Also, why doesn't any helicopter engage infantry? The AH-1 only engages armour and such.

I think the AI can see a BMP2 on a straight patch of land and when doing multiple flybys and being shot at. But the AH-6 is like homer simpsons: oh looky at that tanky!

Helicopters have always been a pain.

I don't know how many time's Ive seen that happen in ofp. It takes a lot of scripting to get them to work right. Check around opfec, you'll probably find what you need.

I think the AI can see a BMP2 on a straight patch of land and when doing multiple flybys and being shot at. But the AH-6 is like homer simpsons: oh looky at that tanky!

indeed, when you set up an attack run from 1000m meter, they fire some shoots, but nothing serious

after this they circle around without being able to fire.

Seams the flying routine is always winning over aiming!?

This is pretty annoying. First I thought the wired steering came from optimizing it for AI, now the AI is completely unable to handle it!?

QuietMan

AH-6 being the littlebird or the cobra? I can't remember the code names for then.

The cobra definitely doesn't do anything. It just flies around waiting to be shot down. In flash they used to circle around in a wide radius in order to get a good run up on targets.

The strange thing is, the ai Hokum's actually does rip tanks to shreads. However, none of the attack choppers even attempt to target infantry, and I distinctly remembered them doing so in flashpoint.

The Cobra does attack tanks as long as it has some Hellfires left. I've been making a small random tank mission with some Cobras helping out and they do their job just fine.

What they don't do is to attack with guns or rockets, but that has to do with their inability of identifying a target soon enough and not being able to handle the chopper well enough to get a shot off.

You can see that clearly when you let the AI fly and jump in as gunner on the Cobra.

The pilot assigns you all kinds of targets, even infantry, but then doesn't manage to maneuver in a position to fire. Not even with the rotating gun.

I remember that for the BAS helos in OFP it was a real pain to get the AI to use the weapons in the way they should and it involved endlessly tweaking the configs of all the weapons until you found a combination where the settings and the maneuvering of the AI matched well enough to engage all kinds of targets successfully.

Looks like this didn't change much for ArmA.