Sign in to follow this  
Garack

Canot create surface memory

Arma is crashed after a while with this error, when i use maxmem..i reduced maxmem to 900.but still crashe...

Have 2 GIG Ram.

Without -maxmem is ARMA not playable, cause then arma uses only 400 MB RAM and stutters like hell..

PLease BIS FIX this so we can use available memory.

I had this prob, my virtual ram was set to low, I had at 512 min/max, changed to 1024 min/max and no more error.

2 gig ram here as well.

He means you go into Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance>Advanced>Change Paging File Size.

This is the amount of space on your HDD granted to Virtual Memory (aka paging file).

Thanks for the clear explanation Franze. To help those tweaking out settings for best performance what should we have it set to for those with:

1 gig -

2 gigs-

3 gigs-

In my limited experience having it set as low as possible is best, many games run better for me with no pagefile at all, it seems to me the less pagefile is there to be used the more physical ram will be, reducing hdd usage. I get the error at 512 and under, I havent yet tried 768 setting, game is fine for me with 1024 set.

If you do change your pagefile, and I recommend setting it as a min max of same size, as this reduces fragmentation of the pagefile, first set to no pagefile, reboot, do a defrag, then set pagefile. Always put it on same partition as windows, not another partition, placing on another physical drive if same speed or faster then windows drive is also good.

Thx Franze for explanation of how, should have done that.

Thanks for the clear explanation Franze. To help those tweaking out settings for best performance what should we have it set to for those with:

1 gig -

2 gigs-

3 gigs-

I'd advise to use the "Let Windows Manage My Page File" option, where Windows will select the best setting for the amount of RAM you have.

You can turn the page file off as stompy says, but I advise against that unless you have 2GB or greater amount of RAM.

If u let windows create its own, its putting it all over your partition, its not in one block. This means your pagefile is fragmented, therefore slower to access.

1024 min/max seems good for most ram amounts, even my kids pc mith 512 ram works fine with this setting. Just experiment and see what works best for your own setup.