Sign in to follow this  
jwflowersii

Crash to Desktop

I've tried both version 1.0 and version 1.01 of the German game and neither work.  When I start ArmA, I get the checkboxes and then a crash to desktop.  Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme Edition 2.93Ghz

EVGA NVidia NForce 680i SLI Motherboard

GeForce 7950 GX2 93.71 Drivers

SB X-Fi Audio

4GB Corsair 800MHZ RAM

Thanks,

John

If you would like I could post error information from crash.

Edit:

Since I have a dual boot system with Windows Vista x64 edition with the latest drivers for the above hardware, I tried to run ArmA and received this error:

Display adapter does not support D24S8 for X8R8G8B8

I don't know if it could be the same error for XP, but I thought I'd add it anyways.

I dont know if this will help you or not but here goes. Yesterday I was playing and alt tabbed out to recieve a instant message. I got to chatting and decided to close my game. I didnt go back into the game to close it I just right clicked the tab in the taskbar and chose close. The next few times I tried to launch ArmA I was having the same problem, crashing to desktop. Sometimes it would get to a loading screen and just hang. I found out later that a config file got messed up somehow when I closed the game that way. I had backups of my user profile and arma.cfg file and restored them, no more crashes. I didnt do a file compare in a text program on the configs to see what changed but Im pretty sure something changed because when I used my backups the game started working fine again.

hmm dunno about that message but I found if you have a sound blaster X-Fi and have it set to entertainment mode while EAX is on it will CTD. Switch to game mode or turn off EAX by modifying the .cfg file in your profile directory

And once more:

Simply update your chipset drivers. I had the same problem. ( You click the shortcut .. game starts loading .. the little boxes pop up .. and then you get the Windows error and dump file.

Current nForce version is 5.10.

( @ MODS: Why is there no sticky topic about chipset drivers ?! It solves 50% of the problems on here. )

hi had a prblem with nvida card 7300GS it crashed to windows or a blue scren came up . it was the new drivers from nvida 9.3.i but the old ones back on it now its ok 9.1

AMD 64 4200 plus

Ram 1G

nvida 7600GT

NEW CARD THE 7300 will not work on aa to slow pistols.gif

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but nothing worked. The 5.10 chipset drivers do not work for the new motherboards such as the NForce 680i SLI. I have the latest version of those drivers though. Anybody else have any suggestions?

You might try what Hudson said, and delete the CFG file from your My Documents/Arma folder.

Still think it's a driver problem because I had exactly the same problem when I bought ArmA and tried to run it the first time.

Is THIS the current driver version for your 680i you have installed ? It's quite new, only 4 weeks old.

If you already have got it installed, I can only advise you to go through every single of your hardware components and check for current drivers.

Yep, they're the most current. I just completed the setup and installation of this computer over the weekend. I do have those NForce drivers. Tonight I'm going to replace my video card with my old one and see if it supports the game. That's the only thing I can think of.

Thanks for your help though.

ok.. i'm also starting to get CTD.. offset error.. game was working fine for about a week untill now.. I will delete the config file and see if it helps. drivers are upto date