Sign in to follow this  
dayglow

I'm at my wits end

I don't understand this. This game is one of the best I have ever played, but at the same time the whole way it is put together technically is udder crap. I've reinstalled windows xp and trying to reinstall OFP. Unfortunatly I am constantly getting errors on the install with the patches. After spending an hour recopying the Data.pbo file from the cd manually the 1.3 patch worked, but when I applied the 1.42 all the files had come corrupt again. Now I have a VIA chipset which is supposably the whole problem, but my thing is, why is it a problem in the first place? Every other game I have ever installed on this computer does not have this problem with corrupt files. Every patch I've installed on these games don't have corrupt files. BIS knows about this problem and has done nothing for it. Why is it that they are the ONLY developer that can't do it? I noticed that a lot of the files are over 100mb in size, which to them is the cause of the problem. So why wasn't the game designed with smaller, more nummurous files to avoid these 'corruption' problems. Or why don't they release a patch that overwrites these files, not open them up and just change what has changed?

I find this so frustrating because I love this game, but it's but together so shitty.

COLINMAN

BIS made the game from scratch.

Meaning that everything starts off as an enemy towards this game.

And about the editing vs overwritting: You answered your own question. The files are huge. Overwritting is just not realistic for patches.

BIS is faced with many, many ISDN and low-end dialup users.

Yes, I've read all the tech faqs and I have the 4.37(a) drivers and tried all the different things suggested to install, still no dice.

On the idea that the files would be too large why not offer both ways of patching? Small files for the low bandwidth and the larger, more sweeping patches for high bandwidth or the people that have tried everything else such as myself.

COLINMAN

I had the same thing. First install normally. Then use the patch. Check the files that give out CRCerrors. Disable DMA (computer management - device... - ide ATA/100...). Boot and copy the files from the cd. Apply patch. Should work. I had the DMA disabled while doing all the patches. After everythings done enable DMA.

While sorting out the crackling sound (see another thread) I was reading about the PCI Latency setting in the BIOS, apparently the default setting of 32 can also cause transfer corruption on large files, unfortunately I can't remember if they said to lower it from 32 or raise it, worth playing around with though, either way it fixed my sound probs smile.gif

Well, it's a day later and a fresh install went without a hitch. The sound.pbo file was corrupt, but one overwrite later it was alright and both patches applied no problem. Just plain weird. Yesterday I must of overwrote the Data.pbo a dozen times with no effect until it finally worked, then the patch corrupted them. Now today it went well. Now lets hope nothing new goes wrong and I never have to touch this install again.

Still this whole situation really bothers me, it shouldn't be a problem, but oh well, back to the game which is the reason I have it and get so frustrated with installing it.

COLINMAN