Sign in to follow this  
bucket man

Problem with the John Doe model

So I have a slight problem with the Jon Doe model. Lets say I add a backbag to the model... Obviusly it would be nice to have somekinda straps over the shoulders because the bag is not going to stay there with magic. icon_rolleyes.gif

First I tried making the starps into the shirt texture. That did not go well because of the texture problem on the shoulders of the guy. The straps would not be aligned and would look rather stupid.

Any way to make the textures fit so I can make the damn straps?

Heres a picture of my problem.

o1.jpg

You have to wrap the texture around the body with Gizmo mapping. And make sure you have the right box in the Gizmo menu checked (there are some boxes; X wrap Y wrap or somthing like that). Had the exact same problem smile_o.gif

Perhaps if he's gonna be wearing a vest/body armor, you can add shoulder pads to mask that incorectly mapped texture?

Yeah thanks for the answers guys... The gizmo mapping is driving me crazy though but I guess it takes lots of practice to get it right.

I figured the gizmo mapping out... almost. huh.gif

I keep getting this one broblem where the texture is "sucked" into the center point where the three arrows meet. No matter what the hell I do the broblem is there.

Any advice?

jon doe was made completly in o2light without using any other unwrapping softweare, thats why mapping is so poor

from models ive made next one was desert FIA, with corrected mapping of shoulders and backpack starps, but it was crap anyway... but textures were basicaly the same, so if you want to use it instead of jon doe - be my guest

first model ive made that was correctly mapped was one made in cooperation with Willec, GROM unit if i remember correctly, i learned a lot from Willec. Unwrapping in LithUnwrap was the answer for all such problems.

textures layout is different on that one, so you would need to make them from scratch (if you want to use GROM model as base)

basicaly, gizmo is not good solution when it comes to mapping anything more than simple cylinders...

Thanks Offtime that really helped. I wasnt getting anywhere trying to map the damn thing with gizmo mapping... icon_rolleyes.gif