Sign in to follow this  
lukemax

Trusted Spyware/virus killer?

Trusted Spyware/virus killer?

Hi all

Ehat Trusted Spyware/virus killer do you guys use, i have heard of many but some off them so your PC down and cause major problems, what tried and tested versians do you use?

Thx

Lukemax

I use Spy Bot Search & Destroy which has served me well for many years, it updated often, usually picks up most things, and can also block harmful things from entertin your pc in the first place.

With this i also use Ad Ware SE which is also updated regulary, i usually scan with this after i scan with spybot to pick up any thing spybot might of missed.

On top of all this i also got Norton Antivirus firewall and virus/spybot scanner. I usually scan with this once every week, 2 weeks.

So far my pc is pretty clean and healthy.

(Then again im no PC expert)

There are not too many things that microsoft antispyware and spybot combined won't miss. The MS antispyware also comes with a set of tools making startup- and browser-related stuff easier to remove by hand. Helped me to remove a certain nasty IE hijacker that no software managed to find. yay.gif

HijackThis + SpyBot

But I recommend ad-aware as 2nd scanner, it scans for known vulnerabilities and not just spywares, plus some anti-virus scanners such Mcafee can detect and remove such things easily, use different browser than internet explorer such firefox or opera both are nice, the odd fact that most infections of such things was caused as a reason of the poor design of windows and its related products by Microsoft such IE and outlook, and such things will continue to exist for years to come under win based osS.

I personally use McAfee virus scan enterprise + ad-aware and online scans around the web and many other tools related to such problems when using my win box. crazy_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock

Trend Anti-Spyware 3.0 catches alot of the stuff Adaware and Spybot miss...

Evaluation Version Download

...When i first tired it, it caught another 70+ issues that the others missed.

I use nod32 antivirus for my PC and notebook.

It uses almost none of your system resources and it is one of the best antiviruses(the best is Kaspersky but the version,old one not the current, I had was kinda a resource hog so I switched to nod32, but I think now it is fixed).

Never install norton for antivirus it sucks big time ( Personal comment).When I had it my PC was very slow. pistols.gif Norton

For antispyware try ad-aware,Spybot and HijackThis.

You also need a good firewall (like Sygate).

All this plus firefox(or seafox) and then Internet seems safer than before. smile_o.gif

I hope I helped you.

At the moment i use Norton Anti-Virus which i scan with once a week, AdAware and S&D Spybot. However, whilst searching for one of the programmes mentioned in this thread, i came across a very helpful site:

Removing Malware

I dont trust myself enough to start up in Safemode without any System Restore points, so i wont catch everything, but i've downloaded some extra programmes from that thread and theres links to other useful threads too.

Hitman Pro will download and run a number of malware/spyware tools, including AdAware, S&D Spybot, CWShredder and a few more. All you have to do each time you run it, is start it up and watch hitman pro update and run the other tools. It will give you a nice report at the end, with all the problems found (and solved).

Kaspersky Anti Virus and Ad-Aware SE Personal are working fine for me.

Edit:

Kaspersky Anti Virus never crashed my system, and i use it for over two years now.

Btw. i use the version that can be found on the CHIP CD and DVD.

Mcaffee, Hijack This, MS Antispyware, Trend Micro House Call (free online checker)

all of those to keep crap off my pc whistle.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Mcaffee, Hijack This, MS Antispyware, Trend Micro House Call (free online checker)

all of those to keep crap off my pc  whistle.gif

To be honest i dont see why you need all of them... Kaspersky Personal & Trend Micro Antispyware work well and i've never had a problem with either since i installed them.

all of those to keep crap off my pc whistle.gif

To be honest i dont see why you need all of them... Kaspersky Personal & Trend Micro Antispyware work well and i've never had a problem with either since i installed them.

i admit i dont need all of them, but having had a rough time with viruses and spyware in the past, i always felt it better to be cautious than have my pc fucked up by the stuff - plus i've never trusted one program on its own yet, so having a few to double check stuff is always handy.

I use Grisoft free AVG as a virus scanner. It work really well, has very quick and regular updates, a large database and its free.