Sign in to follow this  
Shinkansen

Gizmo mapping is driving me crazy

Hi, I have an airplane...

gizmo010ws.jpg

and I want to apply a texture as gizmo mapping to it to get very sharp textures I hope. I know how to start the gizmo tool and uploading the texure is also no problem, but then I wonder which values I need for the gizmo map. Always the texure is hanging somewhere on the plan...

gizmo026tn.jpg

What to do next?huh.gif?

I'll try to give you a short summary of what I know about Gizmo.

First of all I see that you marked different kind of objects to be textured in one step via Gizmo.

You have the cone at the tip, the -more or less - cylindrical part of the center fuselage, and the rudder. The rudder is almost flat!

You see the three axis (red/pink/green) in the center.

Just select only cylindrical parts that have the same centerline and (almost) the same radius. The red and pink arrows refer to the radius. Either both have the same length for a circle cross-section or they differ in size for an eliptical cross-section.

In the Gizmo window you see the drop-down menus "3D" & "2D".

They behave the same way as in the main window, but only refer to the size of the three couloured axises. Just play around a bit and Undo.

You can move the center of the three coloured axis by selecting the main window by clicking Ctrl+LMB or Alt+LMB without loosing your vertex/face selection(s). Then move it around (with RMB pressed).

Your first task is to move the three axises into the centerline of the faces you want to texture. The <span style='color:green'>green</span> arrow has to go along the centerline. It has to be on the centerline, not just parallel to it somewhere!

Now use "3D|scale" to scale the three axises:

red and pink touch the faces of the cylinder, while green touches bottom/top.

You can rotate the axises by pressing Ctrl+RMB and dragging the mouse.

Then play around with "Wrap U" & "Wrap V" Buttons along with the "Swap UV", "Mirror U" & "Mirror V" buttons.

I suggest using a simple cylinder for trials.

Hope it helps...

@shinkansen: i just see that your texture is not suited for gizmo mapping unfortunately.

imagine that with cylindrical gizmo mapping the texure is wrapped aroud your selection like a pipe and from that applied to the selection perpendicularly. the green arrow represents the lenght and direction of that "pipe".

hence the texture applied must depict the object perpendicularly from all angles so to speak; not from aside like in your case confused_o.gif

so you have the choice to either use the same texture and map the plane from the side or paint a new texture and gizmo-map the plane.

ok... here's a little example of a texture which can be gizmp-mapped onto my "plane" biggrin_o.gif

texture:

plane8pf.gif

mapping:

o22zr.th.jpg

result:

buldozer4hu.th.gif

Hi, thanks to all for the input, I tried to apply a texture with gizmo on the airplane, but the results are rather poor. I think that the geo is too complicated and the higly detailed texture must be carefully strechted to fit to the surface.gizmo038mg.jpg

So I made a really large texture to sharpen it out, the new size is 10 times larger

gizmo046lk.jpg