Sign in to follow this  
REDDEATH

host file for IP Addresses

I have the hosts.txt file in the root directory of OFP, but it doesn't work. I put several IP address in the file that I tested via remote connection (where I manually entered the IP) and they work fine that way, but when I put them in the hosts.txt file it doesn't do anything. Anyone else got this working? confused.gif I have V1.4 OFP

Surprisingly, I have it working. tounge.gif

If you will post your copy of hosts.txt here and exact location of this file and file OperationFlashpoint.exe on your computer, we may start guessing what is wrong with it.

My working copy is plain text as follows:

Thanks for the reply... the only thing I see different on your hosts.txt file to mine, is that I have the port number on the end. Let me try to remove those and see if it works then.

I found the problem..... The direction in rtf file in the Server 1.40 zip file says that you need to create a hosts.txt. When your really only need a file calll hosts.  Once I removed the .txt extension it started to work.   It was a typo in the directions.

Reddeath, I expect the docs are correct and what you are seeing is a feature of windows. By default it hides the extension for known file types. You can turn it off by going to the folder options. Probably when you saw a file called "hosts.txt" windows was hiding one extra extension from you and the actual name was "hosts.txt.txt"

Actually that wasn't the case. I don't have the hide known extension option on, and I created the file right from notepad which puts the .txt extension on it. Once I removed the .txt extension everything started working. The file now has no file type associated with it at all. smile.gif

To avoid any confusion:

I just checked the sources. File loaded is hosts.txt from main OFP directory (as stated in docs).