Sign in to follow this  
mej023

Need Action to dynamically set view distance

I have been searching and cannot find this script. My current computer is not powerful enough to have view distance set high all the time so I run it at a default 900 meters.

During recon, when I use my binoculars, I would like a Action Menu item that would let me set my view distance to 2000 meters (and a way to change it back to 900 when I am done).

Also, along the same lines...is there a script that would allow me to add a Save Game command on the action menu?

I imagine that a lot of people have these scripts but I cannot find them on any of the forums. I appreciate any help.

Well, I figured out how to set the view distance by adding an action list item. I would still like to figure out a simple way to accomplish the same thing using triggers or something.

The trigger would have to add an item to the action menu (View Up) which when selected would activate the ViewUp.sqs script. Same thing for View Down. Can this be done?

An alternative, that would not add more action to make the action menu too much crowded would be to use the radio commands with 2 simple triggers activated by radio

-the first one :

select on the Activation drop down : Radio Alpha

set to Repeatedly

At the line On Activation

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">setviewdistance 900

-the second one

select on the Activation drop down : Radio Bravo

set to Repeatedly

At the line On Activation

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">setviewdistance 2000

this way ingame, pressing 0-0-1 will set the view distance to 900 while pressing 0-0-2 will set it to 200

And the benefit would be to not add other entries to your action menus

I'd suggest just hitting "escape", then going into your video options and changing the view distance that way. That way you can play other people's missions without having to edit them. smile_o.gif

Excellent! I did figure out how to use a trigger to add this to my action menu. I will try out the radio command as that seems like a very elegant solution.

General Barron - thanks for the suggestion (it was what I was doing) and will do when playing other missions. For my personal missions, I wanted the menu option in game so I did not have to break my immersion.

Btw, which file has to be changed to modifiy the default view distance on a dedicated server ??

I can find 2 folders containing appropriate "UserInfo.cfg". The 2 locations are :

user/system

user/iswadmin

Which one is the "good" one ? Also, will a "setviewdistance xxxx" command line in the mission.pbo overide the default parameter ?

Thanx for your help