Sign in to follow this  
datter

Some strange but effective OFP tweaks

Been getting back into OFP a lot lately but wasn't too happy with the way it was running, so I spent the last hour experimenting and I found some very interesting things.

I have always run OFP at 1024x768, default draw distance (900), object shadows off (others on), 2048x2048 textures, visual quality in game set to somewhere in the middle. What I notice, and have always noticed with OFP, is microstutters every now and then. I tried 16bit as opposed to 32, lowering the texture size to 512 and even 256, turning off all shadows etc... to no effect.

What I figured out tonight is higher settings seem to increase my FPS and totally eliminate the stutters, which makes little sense but I'm not complaining.

After an hour of futzing with it I am now running at 1600x1200, 2500 draw distance, all shadows on, textures at 2048x2048 and visual quality in game maxed out and it looks better than ever. For some reason with this set up it's as smooth as silk and the stutters are completely gone. I tested all this out on the 'Battlefields' mission with all the soldiers and I'm rather happy.

One of the biggest difference I came across was by switching to 1600x1200. For some bizarre reason the game no loads near instantly for me, and missions load up far, far quicker as well. That makes absolutely no sense but after having sat here for so long messing with everything I can assure you on my machine here it's true. I'm going to do some more testing and throw that DXDLL addon into the mix tomorrow and see what happens. (That's the one that adds reflective water and post processing effects)

If you play OFP and have any FPS, stutter or loading issues then give this sort of thing a try. I'd be curious how it works out.

datter

I tested OFP Res in 1920x1200.

As expected it didn`t run faster.

As not expected higher Resolution didn`t produce more lag on a System with AthlonXP 2500+,1 Gig Ram and GeForce FX5900 XT 128MB. wow_o.gif

A lot, or at least some monitors dont go to 1600x1200 resolution, especially most of us LCD Folks.. blues.gif