Sign in to follow this  
Recon

Join game in progress

I find it unacceptable to not have a join in progress. This game is very good, but the lack of vision by designers/requirement gathers seems to be unbelievable! It is as if they are living in a vacuum.

I also find it difficult that a lead programmer is stating that this is something to not look forward to. Typically that decision is not made by the developers.

I love the single player, but I must say, I buy a game for it's all around features - and 50% of my decision is whether it supports multiplayer. It even says it uses gamespy arcade on the box. But I don't even begin to understand the logic in it's design.

So much is being done by releasing these patches to improve a multiplayer game that is virtually impossible to find one that is open to play...perhaps the development team needs to take a step backward and get a bigger picture...

This decision is quite fundamental, has been done long ago (this game was developed for more than four years) and cannot be changed without major core code overwork. We are sorry, but at this developement stage we are unable to implement what you are asking. It would be almost as developing brand new product.

Suma wrote:

"It would be almost as developing brand new product."

I really think that hits the nail on the head. Forget about improving ofp multiplayer. Improve the single player game by all means, but if you cannot improve the multiplayer to the level needed then why throw good money after bad. Start work on ofp2 instead.

Note I am not just referring to the lack of join in progress, that is merely one of the end effects of the real problem : The lack of a true client/server model. This also causes problems with trying to run complicated scripts in multiplayer games. All the scripts are running individually on each machine with no attempted synchronisation.

Seriously, if the client/server model can't be fixed through patches then don't waste your time.

good point on OFP2: just out of interest, is it planned / being worked on?

and another question for Suma: are there any plans for a "spectator" mode? I think that would be enough for most people if they can't get join in progress....

"We are sorry, but at this developement stage we are unable to implement what you are asking."

Well thats ok just give us a way of knowing time left to play on the dedicated servers so you don't have to sit there in limbo and waste precious gaming time. smile.gif