Sign in to follow this  
Akira

"Massacre" at UN Camp

@Blackdog

Well I heard that but I didn't hear when those leaflets were distributed. As I understand it "before the raid" means maybe some hours before. That's by far not enough to bring a military force there to protect the people.

@all

It's hard to tell how dangerous a region or a province or whatever is as an outsider. I don't know where some people here that claimed that this was particulary dangerous at the moment take their knowledge from. If you have sources I would like to read them too. I'm always interested in such information. Off course there is big conflict potential in the region. But that's not the same as expecting an imminent threat. As I said before. If the UN expect something to happen they will try to get an armed force there very quickly to assist humanitarian efforts. Like in Sudan. You've seen all the media coverage and stuff. But there are thousands of humaniatrian UN mission going on and of course all those places are dangerous in one way or another (otherwise there wouldn't be a need for refugee camps). But the UN obviously doesn't have enough resources to protect all of them with some sort of armed force. So camps where the UN doesn't expect concrete threats are not specially guarded.

Therefore security is provided mostly by local people and the security is aimed at preventing people stealing stuff and such things. Not to defend the camp against attacks or armed militias.

It's hard to tell how dangerous a region or a province or whatever is as an outsider. I don't know where some people here that claimed that this was particulary dangerous at the moment take their knowledge from. If you have sources I would like to read them too.

I beleive Balschoiw was in Africa at one point.

Hope no one took my post as a UN bash, I just wasn't sure whether or not there were any troops from anywhere in the region.

It's hard to tell how dangerous a region or a province or whatever is as an outsider. I don't know where some people here that claimed that this was particulary dangerous at the moment take their knowledge from. If you have sources I would like to read them too.

I beleive Balschoiw was in Africa at one point.

Hope no one took my post as a UN bash, I just wasn't sure whether or not there were any troops from anywhere in the region.

I didn't speak of Balschoiw. I know he was on UN missions. I know his opinions are grounded on personal experience. I'm too lazy to look up the name but I read once or twice such comments from people that I don't know smile_o.gif

There has been UN troops in the country since June I believe, currently some 2500 or so mostly from developing countries, many African. Russia and China has sent some troops to.

Two months isnt really a lot of time to be able to secure all refugee camps and carry out all other objectives they are tasked with.

More troops could have prevented this early on, but obviously, Burundi wasnt deemed that important by the member states.