Sign in to follow this  
Pollux77

Squad.xml in lan

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering whether it is possible to display the Squad's data in a LAN session without being connected to the internet, i.e. using a local ip-address or path.

It sure works when I'm running a local webserver, but that seems a little too exaggerated to me.

I didn't find any appropriate threads using 'search'.

Pollux

thats a good question but i dought it can be cause if it was possible then cliants could HOST there own XML's on there home PC's

that would be good if they added that to OFP2 tho biggrin_o.gif or the option to host on your PC......

You could just run some very simple http server to serve the xml's, would propably take only a few minutes to set up.

No need for an Apache ;) there are many tiny webservers out there that can do the job and are installed and configured with a few klicks.

I've already started a local Webserver - it truly is a tiny program: LiteServe, if anyone is interested. Maybe I'll set it up on a dedicated host for the next LAN-party.

Thanx anyway!

So this is my new solution, quick and simple.

You can use any FTP Server program, OFP understands the ftp-address syntax including passwords!

I'm using I'm using Cerberus FTP Server to host the xml file.

Advantages:

- Small download (350 KB)

- Low system memory and CPU utilisation

- free

- easy to set up and run

- native NT service support

and some others

you can download it from cerberusftp.com

You have to create a new user, make sure the 'Anonymous' box is checked. Do not use a password and uncheck 'allow Upload'

The initial root directory should be the local directory where your squad.xml is, for example C:\Program Files\OFP\Squad\

The best thing now ist to check these settings with a ftp client.

Just connect to your own ip or use 127.0.0.1 (loopback, this IS you machine). You should be able to access the squad files without any Username or password.

Now in OFP go to your player settings and edit the address of your squad.xml

ftp://SERVER-IP/squad.xml

I'm running the Server on my File/Gameserver for the lan in a subdirectory with a username and password - this is as hard as it can get.

So my settings are

ftp://username:password@server-ip/subdir/squad.xml

or for real

ftp://LanUser:fragme@192.168.0.1/OFPSquad/squad.xml

Hope this can help you.

Pollux