Sign in to follow this  
Ice Rhino

Steering Parachutes

They were not crappy. Many combat jumps happen at 800 ft. Others happen at 600 ft. You don't want to float around and admire the scenery. Everyone and their brother are going to be trying to shoot you down.

You get out of the plane, your chute deploys, you check your bearings and chute for holes (checking your rate of descent as well)---there is very little time to deploy a reserve--

After that you steer with your risers away from others (slipping away **slip away godd*amn it ...slip away!!)

Then, when you are getting close to landing you lower your ruck on a lowering line and prepare for landing.

People break legs, arms, backs because you land on something unlevel or just suck at landing. I'd rather have a hard landing than get shot on the way down.

The chutes don't suck, the conditions (weather etc..) do.

They were not crappy. Many combat jumps happen at 800 ft. Others happen at 600 ft. You don't want to float around and admire the scenery. Everyone and their brother are going to be trying to shoot you down.

You get out of the plane, your chute deploys, you check your bearings and chute for holes (checking your rate of descent as well)---there is very little time to deploy a reserve--

After that you steer with your risers away from others (slipping away **slip away godd*amn it ...slip away!!)

Then, when you are getting close to landing you lower your ruck on a lowering line and prepare for landing.

People break legs, arms, backs because you land on something unlevel or just suck at landing. I'd rather have a hard landing than get shot on the way down.

The chutes don't suck, the conditions (weather etc..) do.

Thats another thing though, you are completely invincible while in a parachute unless you hit another shoot or the ground. I once put myself in an M2 and put a ton of parachuters in the air at once and I unloaded on them. Not one came down dead!

I completely agree with the point that it was sloppy to just make you instantly sink instead of atleast having the option t oswim before you sink.

Even if they implemented swimming for a few metres before you lost your breath and went under would be welcome. As it stands, i hate ejecting out of a chopper/plane and landing within arms length of the shore, only to drop straight to the bottom like an anvil. Atleast give me the option to use all of my guys strength to paddle for the shore like anyone would do in real life.

I'm really getting sick of the cut corners in the game. One that annoys me the most is the option (or lack of it for that matter) to drop your weapons/gear. If i've just spent my Gustav, why cant i unload the heavy bastard of a thing off my back?

Other small quirks are unrealistic armour and weapon ratings.

What really amazes me though is that in one patch everything can seem fine and dandy with only a few things to be fixed. But once the next patch comes out, the previously fixed things are faulty again! It's like a bloody chain reaction for crying out loud!

It makes me wonder if the game will ever be FINALLY 100% patched without any bugs in it whatsoever. As the quality of the patches stands at the moment i have a feeling it's a long way off.

Any other software developer would have cleaned out every bug by now with the number (and size) of the patches that BIS has released. I've seen some games that have been buggy as #### but required only ONE patch in order to fix everything.

I'm way off topic here but i just wish BIS would stop concentrating on add-on vehicles and weapons and make the game absolutely spit polished. There is always time for future game development later on, at the moment, its time to make the game perfect.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Scooby on 2:57 am on Nov. 27, 2001

Yes, US soldiers are very special,... They are the only ones that can swim. Soldiers from other nations cant...

<span id='postcolor'>

I keep referring to American soldiers because those are the ones who are in the game...

"Any other software developer would have cleaned out every bug by now with the number (and size) of the patches that BIS has released. I've seen some games that have been buggy as #### but required only ONE patch in order to fix everything."

Really? what game? And I don;t know how many times Ive pointed this out, but, I'll do it one more time, Quake 3 was released in 1998, it(2 months ago) released its "final" patch, and oyu know what thats 3 YEARs, and john Carmack is a coding GOD, this is BIS first attempt(I believe) at a MP game. Your rants are plain adn aimpl whines, I'm sorry but you have apparently not played a MP game in the recent future, as NO GAME WILL EVER BE 100% BUG FREE, sorry but it will never happen.

Panzer Elite is one example. When that game was released it was bug-o-rama heaven, and it was the developers first game.

They released 2 patches and all major bugs were cleared with everything ironed out. Sure they released more patches to introduce new features (now up to 1.08 i think) but within 2 patches they had everything cleared and working. They also managed to simultaneously release editing tools to the community at the same time and talked and asked questions to the forum members non-stop.

And your right, i havn't played a multiplayer game, and have no intention to. You obviously havn't noticed the SINGLE PLAYER aspect of the game yet, have you? That needs just as much polishing work as the multiplayer side of it.

"They released 2 patches and all major bugs were cleared with everything ironed out. Sure they released more patches to introduce new features "

When they released those new features, I GUARANTEE IT that there were minor bug fixes, and NO GAME will ever be bug free. And for one thing I really seriously doubt that Panzer Elite was quite as complex nor as advanced as OFP. I'm not trying to argue with you, it's just that some people dont take the time to take a step back and look at the whole picture. People jump on this forums and harass teh s**t out of BIS.

"at the same time and talked and asked questions to the forum members non-stop."

The majority of these people hardly speak English, and I'm sure it's there fault they released a procduct and dont speak english right? Jeez give em a break, I know "you the comsumer took your hard working money and payed for a product you thought was finished" Well any game you are gonna buy is gonna have problems when its first released, but odn't worry in time they will have fixed it I'm sure, what kind of company would they be if they didnt. As far as teh modding tools, I hope they release em, but I won't whine about if they don't, Think about it logically, when oyu bought they game did they ever say "you'll be able to make your own models and mods", NO nor have they ever. Your taking hearsay that has been thrown around by other members of the community, and then saying that BIS should release something they never said they would. I mean sure it would make the game EVEN better.

You hardly ever hear anyone say "Hey there is no other game out like this, where can I go from flying my chopper around blowing s**t up, to driving my tank around" You don't because people will always complain aobut what they "think" they deserve. This is not directly pointed a to you, but everyone like you. I mean for one thing, be happy they didnt release it, then drop out a s**tty patch out for us,m then leave us to fend for our selves.

On an ending note, to date you wont find a game like OFP, with such intense gameplay with a such a realistic feel. So just think about what goes on behind the scenes before you whine about what you "should" have.