Sign in to follow this  
Ice Rhino

Steering Parachutes

When you watch the animation of parachutist, it appears as though he is steering the parachute.

Is this possible to and if yes, how do you do it?

you think it would be possible for them to implement that? I mean it would be pretty cool, Always sucks having your pretty SU-25 blown to bits, you make a narrow escape, and relaize you're only going to drowned.

Round military canopy chutes can't be steered, at least not very much. It's a simplification that makes training easier, and ensures that all troops descend in the same area.

The chutes you are referring to are rectangular 'mattress' chutes. They can indeed be steered quite well, and can even climb briefly.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Mister Frag on 1:18 am on Nov. 26, 2001

Round military canopy chutes can't be steered, at least not very much. It's a simplification that makes training easier, and ensures that all troops descend in the same area.

The chutes you are referring to are rectangular 'mattress' chutes. They can indeed be steered quite well, and can even climb briefly.<span id='postcolor'>

the chutes in the game appear to be T-10C's.  they are steerable in a basic sense.  you can get some lateral motion to avoid other jumpers but you cant spin your orientation (you often are forced to land while traveling  in the direction your back is facing).  This lateral motion can be achieved by pulling down on one of the 4 risers.  When you are within 100 feet of the ground,  jumpers will pull down on their risers to slow their descent to soften the impact (note these are not tippy toe landings with these chutes). You are right though, these specific chutes are very limited in what you can do.

(Edited by PV at 7:15 am on Nov. 26, 2001)

as someone's already said before - the soldier has to wear a lot of heavy gear (weapons, ammo, boots etc). i think it makes sence...

You can steer it a little, by moving the mouse to the sides of the screen, you go turn around in that direction and keep going forward in that direction, but it's not easy.

Considering US troops have to go through a swim excercise with full gear on in training (I've seen video of this, it's related to how many peopel dorwned during D-Day invasion) I think my guy can swim.

i think they need to add a steerable parachute for spec ops missions like they use in real life

and for swimming like when u eject over water u should beable to have a "dump gear" option so u can swim and that would work good if they would add pistols then u could dump everything but a pistol and still could swim

I like the idea of a Dump Gear command, but the soldiers in OFP don't really carry a lot of heavy stuff -- at most you'd be able to get rid of the M60, LAW, or RPG.

If I was in the drink, I'd find a way to hold on to my M16 or AK, they really aren't that heavy, and might come in handy later. A pistol is only good for fighting your way to your rifle...

Dumping your shoot, your belts with ammo on themm, etc. But this would take time, especially when you're treading water. U.S. solders can swim with gear on. So you don't even need the option, so let my guy swim.

But HELLO a pilot doesn't have much that would make him sink.... plus, ejecting pilots have cool inflatable boats that automatically inflate when they hit water...

or when a plug is pulled on the pack... that would allow them to float.

yeah small inflatable rafts would be cool

and in OFP the pilots carry a M4 and 6nades and nightvision(ithnk) so that makes them carry as much as the rest of the soldiers

Guest Scooby

Yes, US soldiers are very special,... They are the only ones that can swim. Soldiers from other nations cant...

:biggrin: Can American people swim?

Oh, maybe you never experienced it. But with that stupid gear and soaking clothes, the f**king helmet, the heavy boots there is no way to properly swim, be happy if you dont drown

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from RedStorm on 3:38 am on Nov. 26, 2001

You can steer it a little, by moving the mouse to the sides of the screen, you go turn around in that direction and keep going forward in that direction, but it's not easy.

<span id='postcolor'>

no you can't

Well, there are a couple of issues. I served with the Rangers in Benning and the 508th Airborne in Panama as a grunt. In Panama I was a M60 gunner, the guy with the heaviest load outside of the radio operator.

If you had the misfortune to land in water with a 80lb ruck on your back, you might be in trouble. Every ruck has a quick release, so that isn't a problem unless you panick.

But, when jumping on purpose (not ejecting) you have your ruck that you lower on a line so it is away from you.

Either way, the real issue is your weapon, your LBV (load bearing vest), helmet, boots etc....

The first thing is that everyone who can jump at one time goes through water landings. Th hardest thing is getting out from under your chute in a rolling surf. The second hard part is learning to swim in boots. But again, you are trained for this.

The point is it is "sink or swim" and the load is not the issue. Maybe in Private Ryan it was, but we are not taking about fully loaded troops hitting the water. If you know your life depends on it, you will swim with all that gear on. If you don't, your buddies next to you will carry your sorry ass to shore.

The inability to swim is a tad disappointing. To blame it on inabilities to swim rather than cutting corners on the programming side is a little foolish.

What other games caused you to drown with no chance of swimming?

"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: from RedStorm on 3:38 am on Nov. 26, 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no you can't "

Actually, you can steer to a very small degree. It's not much, but its there. Almost unnoticable.

I don't know what anyone else said but I know that soldiers parachutes were not steerable and were crappie enough that some broke their legs on landing.........

You only break your legs if your chute deploys too low to the ground, which is understandable. Above a certain height, you will always land safely (assuming you don't get cut to ribbonson the way down by enemy fire).