Sign in to follow this  
Quantum

Cfgsounds description.ext stringtable.csv

All BIS missions have the following:

any mission.sqm;

briefingName="@STRCNO_xx"; (typ. xx corresponds to numeric prefix of mission, i.e. 01Invasion.noe.  This is used in the campaign level mission.sqm/stringtable.csv files.  Along with this, the briefing.html has a title tag but the text that appears on your mission book in game is determined by mission.sqm:briefingName.  Does <title>?</title> have any impact?

q: I haven't found a tutorial or reference that states what the @ does as opposed to the $ when referencing strings in stringtable.csv.  Are there any other prefixes that have special use?

assumption: The @ is only used in mission.sqm as a replacement for $ ($ being used in everything else) because of the way mission.sqm files are parsed.

a: ?

entries in stringtable.csv;

$STRn_?.....    (n being D,M...

(?... prefixed D,M...

(?... also contains  v,r...

q:Many tutorials that seem to cover the various sound entries don't address what the 'n' part means, nor do they go into the rest of the $STRn_?..... reference.  Some say you can name it anything as long as the entry matches a stringtable.csv line.  BIS seems to jump from n=D to n=M in it's cfgSounds, as well as changing the ([v,r] in [?.....]) section. Is the format BIS uses required? Does it ultimately have any effect on the parser/game depending on format used?

assumption: BIS' parser doesn't care as long as the entries match up with stringtable.csv.  The lines they use;

$STRD_D02v01

$STRD_M02v01

$STRCNO_01

...  are all a matter of convention and their format is not required.  02 in the first example came from mission 02....., anv v01 is the first cfgSounds entry (v=voice? , r=radio?).

$STRD_ (<-D = ?)

$STRD_D (<-D = ?)

$STRD_M (<-M = mission?)

$STRC (<-C = campaign?)

a: ?

None of the tutorials have addressed this continuity in BIS' design, or that there may be some benefit (beyond it's uniformity) in adhering to it.  As an aspiring mission builder I'm reading everything I can find that doesn't have 'holes' in it, i.e. "Your cfgSounds entry must/must not have a name="" entry, but we don't know what the third parameter is..." and so on. I stay away from those.  There are a few that filled in the gaps but again, the naming convention is ambiguous at best.

Campaigns:

BIS seems to name their cutscenes xnn?............

In the game, when selecting a campaign, some are <cutscene>, does the prefix x do this? Continuing this thought, does the actual mission name have to be prefixed with x "x01FacetoFace.Noe".  The description.ext for the campaign has a 'class name' reference and the 'template' reference. Do both have to be x-prefixed to get the campaign entry <cutscene>?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class xMeeting: MissionDefault

{

noAward=true;

end1 = Crossroad;

end2 = Crossroad;

end3 = Crossroad;

end4 = Crossroad;

end5 = Crossroad;

end6 = Crossroad;

lost = Crossroad;

template = x02Meeting.Noe;

};

-- (campaign level) --

cfgSounds

Can a mission call sounds defined in this description.ext? Apparently so, BIS does it.  Are there any special setup instructions for this procedure?

description.ext:cfgIdentities

BIS defines them in campaign level, then in a mission level mission.sqm you see;

init= xx = this loadIdentity ""02IC3""";

I've found no tutorial that touchs this question, at what point did cfgIndentity "Viktor" become "02IC3" ?  A search for loadIdentity, saveIdentity, load/save for campaign variables wasn't helpful.  This usage seems to be integral to BIS' campaign missions but no info for the masses.  I'm just getting into the gamut of campaign creation and this functionality, a single global cfgIndentity collection, should be used extensively in every campaign, it's the "how the hell?.." part that's the question.

I hoped to find some of the more astute campaign/mission builders in the forums.  Please don't answer "I'm not sure", that defeats the purpose of the forum. (yes, I've gotten that response).  I'd just like to keep the topic, well, on topic.

The gist of this being, if BIS did it this way, are there undocumented benefits?  What are BIS' conventions?  Is the approach taken by other campaign developers compliant or did they find a more effective and efficient way? (<- this I doubt, OFP:R far exceeds any other FPS in quality, quantity, extensibility, replayability and damnit! It's the cat's ass!)

Sorry, I digressed or regressed, whatever your perspective.

I appreciate any construction explanations and solutions about these posers.  If there is any other information about campaign creation that you have found by trial/error that is undocumented please feel free to enlighten me and the forum at large.

And yes, I'm superflous by nature.  Also nocturnal, diurnal by force.

Thank you for any and all help in advance.

I will tell you the theme of my campaign if you ask, otherwise we'll just take it as my first attempt.

That should do it for now.  I tried to be sure these questions weren't explained elsewhere.  You'd be amazed how many non-related results you get with a search for "cfgSounds" smile_o.gif

Thank you and have a pleasant tomorrow.

[bottom spacer]

If a hamster weighs 2 pounds and a cat could throw a discus, how many ducks could afford to buy a Lamborghini?

They use a naming convention they like, standard computer science/programming process. You can name the strings anything you want. Most people who script/code do not need to have a convention forced upon them. There is no real benefit in you figuring out every little detail of why they name what they name the way they name it. Why, as the only conflict you will develop is with your own work, so it's your business. smile_o.gif

Thank you.  That clears 2 questions off the books.