Sign in to follow this  
orionthedark

How to place units to watch towers?

Hello everyone from new forum member.

I have purchased OFP: GOTY edition while ago, and loved it very much. I have recently started learning mission editing, and found this forum and OFPEC to be of great help.

I have several questions though. I have tried to search forum/ FAQ, but no luck with these particular topics. Should they have been answered hundred times before and I have missed them, my regrets.

1) How do I place units to watchtowers in bases?

2) I have noticed both trigger and waypoints have "Activation" field. If I want something to happen at certain waypoint, which one should I use? Waypoint or trigger activation field?

3) Scenario: I want trigger to be activated when certain area, say, city is cleared of enemies. I have tried using "not present" option in trigger but I am pretty sure it doesnt work always. Any other ways to declare when certain area is free of enemy?

Many thanks in advance,

Orion

The trick isnt necessarily getting them into the watch towers as it is keeping em there!

You can place the units via the editor in just the right spot and they will be in the tower, or there is an action command for climbing ladders you could order the unit to do when he is near the tower. However, 10 times out of 10 they will fall either on their own (for no reason) or when a battle ensues.

1- In the init line of the soldier you want in the watch tower copy paste this ( CTRL+C = copy and CTRL+V = paste )

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> (getpos this select 1), (getpos this select 2) +1]; this setunitpos "UP"

This will teleport him 1 meter up of his current position , and if he is well placed on the position of the tower , he will be up there

the last part ( this setunitpos "UP" ) is to disable his proning ability , as the AI soldiers when they see a danger go in prone position and cant shoot from the tower .

2-Good question , i think only trying will tell you when the situation is best, to use waypoint or trigger activation field.

as i noticed on some of my mission that sometime , if i put the code in activation field of a waypoint , it doesnt work.

3-if you put -not present- , it should work , but be carefull to select EAST, WEST etc .... (depends of the situation) too at the line ACTIVATION

then give a look in the Mission Editing FAQ topic in this same forum (it is pinned) , there are great hints for several situation you want to use in your editor

To stop soldiers from falling off watch towers, use

object DisableAI "MOVE"

To stop soldiers from going prone in watch towers use:

object SetunitPos "UP"