Sign in to follow this  
maroco

Multiple computers behind router cannot connect

Problem is that when i try connecting more than one computer that is on my LAN to a server outside the LAN we get disconnected within a few minutes of being on server.

We can connect to a dedicated lan server and people can join that server from the outside of the network but when we try to connect 2 or more computers to a server outside the router we lose connection to server within minutes. is there some setting on my router or on the dedicated server that can fix this problem? I think that it has something to do with the server seeing 1 ip address but haveing multiple players.

I have seen this topic on another forum but have not seen a solution. If anyone has any info please help me out we run big LANs and would like to be able to have this working. Thanks.

we did have the same id at first and i thought that was causing some problems so i put a new key into my registry on one computer and left the other the same.

The reason i believe this is not the problem is because on my lan i have a dedicated server running on linux the same way another server would run and i do not get any problems connecting 7 people that are inside the network to that server they never get disconnected when on that server. When the people on the network connect to that server they have a seperate ip like 192.168.1.X diff on each computer.  Thats what makes me think that its the fact that the problem is caused by showing up as the same ip address on a server outside my network.

There is a possibility that the id# being the same at one point is causing this but i do not understand why that would be it.

I don't think it's a problem.

I've had friends over playing at least two people toward the same internet server over a simple NAT router.

You shouldn't even need to open or redirect any ports if your router is standard. You only need this if you are run the server behind your router and you want to open up for outsiders.

If you use Direct Play, it can be trickier, it's might not work at all unless you use the XP built in NAT router or you are a real pro in configuring ports. Direct Play is the biggest crime against client/server technology ever made :-)

Only very bad server code would confuse several clients on the same IP. I don't know what the problem is in this case but I'm sure it's not OFP. Perhaps look over or remove port mappings in your router settings.