Sign in to follow this  
mk4umha

How is ingame bandwidth calculated?

I have a 60ms ping and yet my bandwith is from 5-8 and with others, it's 60 or so. how is this calculated? I'm getting tons of desynchs because of this! any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Ping is the time in milliseconds data packages from your machine need to reach the server and vice versa, bandwidth is the amount of data your connection is capable of transmitting/receiving (not sure about the unit in this case - probably kbit per second). So depending on your connection the ping might be fine, while your connection just doesn't have the nescessary bandwidth to transmit/receive all nescessary informations -> leading to lag. That's why OFP shouldn't be played using a 56k modem - many missions (especially complicated COOP missions) use many units and thus need to transfer too much information.

But sometimes ofp does not seem to use all the bandwidth you have. My players all have dsl and most of the times have very high bandwidth values, but sometimes the values are getting pretty low for one or more of them for no apparent reason...

Indeed, i'm on cable and it's wierd how sometimes i have a very small bandwidth when i have a ping time around 30ms.

Well, the bottleneck doesn't have to be on your side of the connection - it could also be that the server doesn't have enough bandwidth for all the players connected, or that there's a problem somewhere in between the server and your system.