Sign in to follow this  
Victim_913

ADDON Builder Root element missing

For some reason, out of nowhere, addon builder stopped opening. I use it all the time. But as of today, I click on it, both from a shortcut on my desktop, and from the steam "arma 3 tools"  menu. I click on it, the screen appears and closes immediately.  It will not open.

I verified the integrity of both  arma3 and arma 3 tools. Both are completely validated to be correct. But i still can't open it.

I tried opening other tools and they seem to work. it's just addonbuilder.

Any ideas?

edit: I went into the user logs. This is the error message I get:

2024-04-10 15:09:27,942 [FATAL]   1: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Root element is missing. (C:\Users\GOD\AppData\Local\Bohemia_Interactive\AddonBuilder.exe_Url_5vzzrasdbaz3le10zjluspzaksqkp5mv\1.5.150.952\user.config) ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.

In case its related, I also got a message when opening arma3 from Steam. It said my user settings had been corrupted. I had to reselect mods etc. and then that message stopped appearing.

I ran the diagnostics in the tools menu and i got a result but i didn't know how to make sense of it. If thats even helpful

Just in case anyone else has this problem, I fixed it. 

In the info i provided, I went to the file :

C:\Users\GOD\AppData\Local\Bohemia_Interactive\AddonBuilder.exe_Url_5vzzrasdbaz3le10zjluspzaksqkp5mv\1.5.150.952\user.config

I found the file. the user.config file had no content. it was empty in notepad. All previous entries had data. So I deleted the folder:

1.5.150.952  Actually i saved it to a different location just in case i needed it. 

Then i verified the integrity  of the tools AGAIN. it showed 1 file needed to be replaced.

It recreated that file.

Now it works.

In fact, I think the problem occured because i had it open the other day when my video card stopped working.. Being blind, i had shut down my computer wrong. It must have corrupted the file.