Sign in to follow this  
Nimrodhunter

High ping with firewall

I've got the Firewall "ZoneAlarm". While playing OFP my ping is sometimes very high and I'm loosing connection.

If I turn the Firewall off, the problem's solved.

Anyone can recommend to me a better Firewall?

Thnx.

ZoneAlarm is the best software-based firewall I've used. I never had problems with it and OFP under Windows 2000.

If you have Windows XP, a very basic firewall is built into the OS -- it's called Internet Connection Firewall (ICF). Under Windows 2000, basic TCP port filtering is available in the Advanced TCP/IP settings.

If you have a broadband connection, my recommendation would be to get a router with a built-in firewall. Get something that has SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) and UPnP (Universal Plug-and-Play) support.

Do you have XP? 'Cause XP has a built-in firewall. It's really annoying 'cause your IP never shows up. Whenever my friend creates a server for any game, I can never find it because of his firewall. So anyone know how to turn it off?

Somewhere in some Settings I assume.

thumbs-up.gif

-iCe-

XPs firewall can be turned off by going to network connections and selecting the one with the firewall (if you have more than one) properties and then the advanced tab, just untick it and ok and its disabled

for future reference, if you want to find your IP www.whatismyip.com

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shashman @ 21 May 2003,13:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Or else just type winipcfg in start/run  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That reports your local IP, which may not be the same as your public IP if you are behind a router with NAT.

Anyway, instead of turning off the XP firewall, I would instead open the ports required by OFP, so that you continue to be protected from Microsoft SMB exploits etc.

Hey MisterFrag, can you please tell me where to find info on configuring the XP firewall. As far as I new, it was either on or off, but I'd like to be able to open ports for games or short ftp session etc.

Read this article on Microsoft's Windows XP Home Site.

Basically, just click on your network connection in the Network Places applet, then Properties -> Advanced -> Settings -> Services -> Add and then open/close the ports for specific services as needed, or add your own OFP service.

I've had ZoneAlarm for a long time...never had any ping problems because of it. Maybe talk to your ISP about it?