Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

Indirect fire

I think the way indirect fire is handled could be vastly improved for OFP2.

Just to get the ball rolling, let me put forward to brief ideas:

Ability for AI to fire indirect fire weapons (grenade launchers, mortars etc.) at an area, as opposed to a specific target. Say I spot some enemy troops in the distance in my binocs: I should be able to order my team grenadier or mortar (rifle grenade) soldier to fire at where they are. This could be done by selecting the area through my binocs (or command view) and issuing a "fire at area" command to my soldier. He would then pop a round at that area (with normal chances of falling short, going long or veering left or right, naturally). In the case of certain weapons with sufficient range, I should even be able to issue a "fire at area" command by clicking on the map in the map screen.

Secondly: forward observers, to call in fire corrections. Say in the example above, I order my grenadier to fire at a specific point, the forward observer (if at the right vantage point) could call back "8 meters long" or "3 meters right", or something along those lines (I'm not sure of the correct military terminology for fire corrections).

This would be an invaluable feature if artillery is introduced, too.

2-->Quote (colt @ April 25 2003,012)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was thinking about how BIS could implement suppressive fire the other day.

My idea:

Choose your machine gunner  "F ?" then go to 'engage' or 'action' in the command menu and then have an option to 'suppress'. Once selected you right click and draw a window around the area you want him to fire on.

You could use a hot key to turn suppression on or off.<span id='postcolor'>

In sum: area fire, as well as point fire on inanimate objects. "Contact...Right Front...Enemy in the bushes....Light 'em up..."

(If you've ever played either of the Combat Mission games, then you know how "sexy" area fire is, esp when tanks are throwing smoke into the treeline, and one of your platoons machineguns is throwing lead into that same treeline! Mmmm...:p  )

I am usually a machinegunner in missions and i provide cover fire.