Sign in to follow this  
SnowGhost

Voip commands in multiplay

I would like to see an in game ability to speak to other players, using something like Roger Wilco. There is a open source program called speak Freely that already has a lot of the work done.

OK, so it's not really suitable for 56k games. Who cares. By the time OFP2 is released this will not be a major problem. (btw, I am still on 56k, with no chance for ADSL, until I move)

Wouldn't you all like to see something stuck into the multiplayer where it lights up the name of who is talking even if there are multiple people talking that way you know who is annoying the rest of the people on the server and can kick them easily or know who is talking to you when they are asking you a question? rock.gif

by the way, I mean lights up on when the voice button is used in like a little transparent box in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. smile_o.gif

OFP already has an integrated voice com. Or i should say "had", cause it only works with the old netcode. IMHO it was one of the best channel systems i have ever seen in a game. It beats cs and other hl mods by far. I really hope this will be back in OFP2.

If you want to try it out start ofp with -dplay mode.

I got ofp once it came out and I've never seen it in action, can you describe how it was? Why isn't it available anymore, don't they know how important voice communication is for this type of game? and if its better than hl's voice comm system, then god damn, i have to see this

I don't have ofp installed anymore, not enough servers, not enough players

Well, you had the same channels for speaking to that you have for typing, ie all, side, group, vehicle and local. Whenever you said/typed something in a channel, everyone could hear/read it. The really cool thing is that the game put you automatically in ALL channels you were legit for, eg as a m1a1 commander you would be in the global channel, side channel, group channel and vehicle channel all at once. If you wanted to talk to your crew you would select vehicle channel and only your crew could hear you while you could still hear messages that were sent to your side or group.

TS2 has Channels, and you can set up bindings to talk to several channels at once (or to channel commanders), so you can have several channels you are SENDING TO.

But no voicecom can put you into several channels at once (and always the correct ones) to RECEIVE. That was the greatest thing about ofps ingame voicecom. We used it alot until the socket netcode appeared and VOIP didn't work anymore sad_o.gif

I think most people would agree that OF2 needs built-in tools for voice communication (such as Skype, Teamspeak, RogerWilco, whatever).

For one, it would make the game so much more accessible for multi-player. In OF1, unless you’re in a clan, when playing a multi-player Capture The Flag online you’re basically a one-man army with no idea where everyone else is. Most people don’t take the time to type text messages.

Also - one of the great strengths of Operation Flashpoint is its cooperative model. Unfortunately, the text based communication system is too basic to truly take advantage of cooperative mode when playing a coop online with some other players.

So - apparently OF1 had some integrated voice capability. I have also played around with Teamspeak and Roger Wilco. The problem with the built OF1 voice capability is that it was not easy to find (for example, I never knew about it). The problem with Teamspeak and Roger Wilco is that they’re not easy to use.

When you’re going to have some sort of in-game voice communication it should 1) be very clear that you have the capability and 2) you should be able to just plug in your headset and go. That’s one of the problems I have with Teamspeak or Roger Wilco. It always took like 10 minutes to get everyone on the same server, adjust settings etc before we could go ahead and play with my clan. I found out about some new shareware called Skype (www.skype.com). It’s totally plug and play and I didn’t have to adjust my settings at all. Pretty cool. Unfortunately, when I tried to run Skype and play OF1 online, it totally degraded performance of OF1. So I guess that’s another thing to consider.

Last thought - It would be cool if one of the channels allows for the volume to depend on how close you are to someone. That way you only hear relevant chatter.