Sign in to follow this  
naw

Broken missions

It is great that there are so many mission makers adding to the game, I love to play them, but I would also love to be able to finish the mission to see how successful I was.

There are missions out there with severe bugs which make it impossible to finish the scenario. Bugs, that by simple testing should be possible to figure out; a helicopter not extracting you rather than hovering in air, or the important backup not arriving at all even when called for help.

Please, mission designers, put in the extra hour to double check things like this, I love to spend hours playing them in various ways if I'm able to finish them.

//Naw

I hear ya naw, and I am lucky enough to have a 3 pc lan and others on the internet I hook up with every night to test if needed.

A lot, I imagine don't have that luxury. There is no excuse for a single player mission not working right 99% of the time, but I can tell you from a lot of headaches that multiplayer mission code can make odd things happen every d*amn time.

I don't know if you were talking about single or multi missions, but I just wanted to mention how hosed the multi code can be.

I agree with Thundercok,

A multiplayer mission tested on a local PC can be perfect, but the moment you play it from a dedicated server it can fall to bits.

I run a dedicated 24/7 server at www.mughug.net and I have see others and my own MP missions do exactly this.

I suspected a problems with scripts not being run or loading into memory, but I find that even something as simple as a command in the initialization field of an object can seem to disappear once the mission is played on a server.

It gets to the point that I now have to ensure that most of the testing is done on the server with clients connected.

Even then a script or whatever may work one time or may not work the next time, the mission is played on the server. Kind of like the odds you get at Las Vegas.

I feel for the people without the equipment to test their missions live on a dedicated server with clients connected. If I was in that position, I would have giving up designing missions by now.

If anyone without the equipment would like to test their custom design mission on our dedicated server, please e-mail them to me at mughug@linkline.com. We will test it out and I will e-mail you back with a report on problems. Please try to ensure that you have carried out testing of the mission before senting it to me.

Regards,

MugHug

u guys know how to end a mission? a trigger or script? and what to put in the trigger/script field.

I can make mission but can't end them sad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

I always end with a trigger and set it to end#1 or one of the others.

Some ending types would be;

'west not detected', which would mean all of your guys are wiped out.

Or 'east not detected' where the enemy is wiped out.

Many other ways to do it.

Another good way is say, where I have 4 tanks to destroy.

I just make the trigger condition;

not(alive tank1)and not(alive tank2)and not(alive tank3) and not(alive tank4)