Sign in to follow this  
mjpadilla

Platoon, regimen and correct names

I am currently working on a multiplayer mission where I'm using multiple platoons and I need help from a military person as to the hirearchy order as well as the correct names of the following

Size of company:

Regimen, division, platoon, company, squadron. What is the correct hirearchy in size order from largest to smallest?

Names of platoons:

Recon, Mech inf, heavy mech inf, special ops, other?

I'd like for this mission to use correct words in the breifing and oveview as well as sound, that is if I can record the radio messages.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Size-wize, it goes something like this, IIRC:

division -> brigade/regiment -> battallion/squadron -> company/troop -> platoon -> section -> squad

I believe this to be right for US Army elements, at least. I think I have seen references to British/Aussie units where a "squadron" is of company size and troop is of platoon size.

Now, this is off the top of my head, so I may be totally wrong there.

Now, about the hiearchy levels with two different designations - the US Marine Corps, for example, I believe, calls their "just below division" units regiments whereas the Army (or parts of it) calls units of the comparably same size brigades. Also, the naming convetion has changed through the course of history - we don't see many "cohorts" of infantry these days...

That should set you in the right direction. Corrections/additions from more knowledgeable forum-goers are welcome.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Size-wize, it goes something like this, IIRC:

division -> brigade/regiment -> battallion/squadron -> company/troop -> platoon -> section -> squad

<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks much. I'm still looking for a the platoon or company type, such as mech inf. Any other type that I have not mentioned here?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mjpadilla @ April 13 2003,13:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Size-wize, it goes something like this, IIRC:

<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks much.  I'm still looking for a the platoon or company type, such as mech inf.  Any other type that I have not mentioned here?<span id='postcolor'>

It would be a mech platoon then.

Every US Army unit except Cavalry uses the following:

Corps > Division > Brigade (Combat Team) > Battalion (Task Force) > Company (Team) > Platoon > Squad or vehicle crew

The US Cavalry is the only one that does this differently.

Regiment (Brigade-sized) > Squadron (battalion-sized) > Troop (Company-sized) > Platoon > squad or vehicle crew

Sections are very rarely used, except it tank units. 2 tanks would make a section, 4 tanks a platoon.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Corps > Division > Brigade (Combat Team) > Battalion (Task Force) > Company (Team) > Platoon > Squad or vehicle crew

<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Regiment (Brigade-sized) > Squadron (battalion-sized) > Troop (Company-sized) > Platoon > squad or vehicle crew

<span id='postcolor'>

Got it. Now are there Mechanize sections for each? For example, Mechanized Platoon, Mechanize Regimen? In that context, you could also apply the Airborne, Heavy inf, and so on for each as well?

Thanks for all your help. As soon as I get a good enough beta version of the mission I'll pm you with it and you can give me your thoughts as well on the mission.

Thanks again.

A mech unit would just be called a mech platoon, mech company, mech battalion, etc. Same for everything else - airborne platoon, tank company, special forces battalion, etc.

A mixed unit (mech and tanks) would be called a company team or a battalion task force. You don't mix platoons.

Thanks so much. This should add a bit more realism to my mission.

tounge.gif