Sign in to follow this  
gfresco

How best to simulate long distance troop movement?

Howdy, hoping someone has some ideas either with existing scripts or clever methods.

Long story short I'm cobbling together a semi-dynamic long-term mission with Prairie Fire DLC on the Khe Sanh map, playable as LRRP's and/or SOG. 

In the areas of the map controlled by Opfor (PAVN) I want to set-up enemy units/compositions that are moving slowly across a large distance. IE simulating something along the lines of troops coming in to slowly work their way to where-ever, rather than ambiently patrolling a particular sector. Ideally following terrain paths/roads. The idea being it gives something to recon/intercept/call air or artillery on. Also rather than just stumbling on random patrols in the jungle I'd like to create the possibility to set up by major routes and do ambushes. 

I realize in the editor I could cobble this together via a pre-placed set of units & series of waypoints. That would work but its not ideal. I would rather have it be a repeatable/respawning than a singular instance and it'd be nice for it to have some degree of dynamic element to it so its not always the exact same path, if possible.

I have a plethora of ambient patrol scripts/modules for creating an occupied/guarded area but I've struggled to find anything pre-existing that does more what I describe above.