Sign in to follow this  
TheConfessor

Edit model config

I'm making a replacement addon for my CUP-based campaign, and I want to edit some weapon models to make some of their elements permanently visible. Can it be done through simple editing of model.cfg, or it should be re-binarized with .p3d file?

2 hours ago, TheConfessor said:

[...] Can it be done through simple editing of model.cfg, or it should be re-binarized with .p3d file?

There is no such thing as a "simple edit" of a model.cfg as it is Binarized into the models themselves and cannot be directly edited.

21 hours ago, Jackal326 said:

There is no such thing as a "simple edit" of a model.cfg as it is Binarized into the models themselves and cannot be directly edited.

So, is there any tool to re-binarize a .p3d file?

2 hours ago, TheConfessor said:

So, is there any tool to re-binarize a .p3d file?

Short answer, no.

Long answer, there used to be a tool that allowed you to un-binarize a model and extract the model.cfg. I think it was made by Mikero. It was more for educational purposes to learn how something was animated/coded etc rather than a practical "edit this model.cfg and re-binarize the model" kind of deal as the extracted models were often incomplete or otherwise broken/corrupted - I think this behaviour was intentional as to prevent theft/misuse of other people's work.

22 hours ago, Jackal326 said:

Short answer, no.

Long answer, there used to be a tool that allowed you to un-binarize a model and extract the model.cfg. I think it was made by Mikero. It was more for educational purposes to learn how something was animated/coded etc rather than a practical "edit this model.cfg and re-binarize the model" kind of deal as the extracted models were often incomplete or otherwise broken/corrupted - I think this behaviour was intentional as to prevent theft/misuse of other people's work.

I see. Thanks for comprehensive answer.

• Like 1