racercowan

Keep AI helicopter landed on ground until trigger

For a mission, I'm trying to get a helicopter to fly in, land, unload troops, load in another squad, and take off. To start with I've got waypoints to move -> land -> transport unload (synced with the boarding group's move) -> load (synced with boarding groups get in) -> move.

When the helicopter lands, it immediately takes off again, even as the on-board troops are disembarking (causing most of them to fall to their death). Sometimes it will quickly land again, but if all the troops fall to their death get off before it re-lands it stays in the air preventing the boarding troops from reaching it.

Deleting the land waypoint so that there is just the transport unload and load waypoint keeps the disembarking troops alive, but it pops into the air as soon as they're off.

Using disableAI "MOVE" in the waypoint completion script box for landing or transport unload does not seem to work, while the helicopter will not change it's ground position it will usually still take off (in one case hovering mere inches above the ground, which is still enough to confound boarding AI).

Is there a way force the helicopter to stay still from the point it touches down until the boarding troops have all entered? So far the suggestions I've seen are to either damage it or empty the fuel, but I need the helicopter to remain in working condition (and preferrable remain spun up for the duration too).

10 hours ago, racercowan said:

When the helicopter lands, it immediately takes off again

_helo flyInHeight 0 should force the helo to remain on the ground. To detect the landing you could try the LandedTouchDown event handler.

Then when take off is expected you execute

_helo flyInHeight 50

where 50 is the height in meters, set to desired value.

_helo setBehaviour "CARELESS";
_helo setCombatMode "STEALTH";
_helo disableAI "TARGET";
_helo disableAI "AUTOTARGET";
_helo disableAI "WEAPONAIM";
_helo disableAI "AUTOCOMBAT";

Helps a lot!