Sign in to follow this  
Clarentavious

Scripting code problems

I am trying to have a unit start its waypoint and move once a trigger goes off, but it is not working.

I thought my code should look like this.

I would have a trigger, where on activation would say

getmoving = true

Then for way point 0 for my unit, I would have the condition

getmoving

Am I supposed to type it in some other way? Like variable1 or something? I've tried everything I can and it still won't work, please help. My unit starts its way point movement immediately, rather than waiting for the trigger to go off. I know I have my trigger parameters correct.

Trigger:

Condition: Insert desired condition here

OnActivation: T1 = True

Now you need two waypoints.

Place one "move" waypoint directly under the soldier. We will call that WP1.

WP1:

Condition: T1

Now place another "move" waypoint at hte desired location. Say thats WP2.

When the trigger goes off. T1 becomes true. The soldier will not move to the second waypoint until the trigger goes off.

I have done exactly that and it is not working.

I am using a helichopter, not a soldier. I have 3 way points, and the chopper starts its engines as soon as I enter the map.

I think I might know the problem now that you mention it. Does the trigger radius (the blue line in size, the elipse or rectangle) have to pass over the first way point in order for that waypoint condition to recognize the variable?

Because the trigger's radius does not pass over the way point. The trigger is a long ways away from the helichopter.

I am about to go load up my game right now and try this, but answer me please anyway.

God this is SO stupid. The chopper turned its propeller on and lifted up in the air, but didn't move. It did this because I changed the combat mode to open fire and engage at will.

I naturally assumed since it lifted up it was fly to the next way point, but it just loomed there like on auto-hover.

I thought I was doing everything ok, so I speeded things up to 4x and just waited to see if it would move up just fly straight up and wait.

Man, this gaves engine requires so many specifics *frown*

Later once I get on my comp that has OFP i can test.  But for right now, tell me exactly what you are trying to do.  I could probably tell you what is needed.

When do you want the chopper to start moving?  After the player is in the chopper?

edit-

In the Helos condition line do:

Chopper1 flyinheight 0

In the first waypoint, the one with the "T1" in the condition field. Put this in the onactivation feild.

Chopper1 flyinheight 100

This should keep the chopper on the ground until the trigger activates the waypoint.

Eeeek

No. I have it fixed now. I had the chopper listed as East. As soon as ANY way point is added it will fly up and stay there (but just loom there, not move to the next waypoint).

I tried changing the type too, like instead of move, Gaurd or Sentry.

So I fixed the problem by making the chopper empty (instead of occupied by West, Resistance, etc...), then having 2 pilots get into it via trigger.

Geez, those guys at BI Studio's must have worked their butts off. I think I will stick to working on hardware rather than taking up a C++ class. wink.gif

Edit: First off, I should mention I'm not using a script for this. </Edit>

This is sort of similar to a problem I'm having.

I have a sqaud of tanks, and a bunch of infantry.  They're supposed to come up to a river crossing together, using synched waypoints, then the tanks are supposed to cross, with the infantry following close behind (but not passing them, it's important the tanks arrive first, or it screws my plans up).

However, the infantry move faster than the tanks, and always cross first.

So, I made a Trigger set to West Present (I couldn't think of how to set having the specific squad present in the Conditions line), synched it to the tank squad's waypoint set halfway across the river, and put

On Activation:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">rivercross1 = true<span id='postcolor'>

Then I set the infantry's waypoints across the river to

Condition:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">rivercross1<span id='postcolor'>

I wanted to put rivercross1 = true, but that's appearently bad syntax.

But, it doesn't matter, since it doesn't work.

So, I tried setting the infantry's waypoints BEFORE they cross the river to

Condition:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">rivercross1<span id='postcolor'>

but not only doesn't it work, but now the tanks wait for the infantry to cross the river befor crossing.

I realised then I have no idea how this is supposed to work. sad.gif

Also, while I'm at it; say a unit has two waypoints, "1" and "2".  If I set the speed of waypoint "1" to full, and "2" to normal, does that mean the unit will move full speed TO wp 1, and then move normal speed to wp 2, or does it mean the unit will move to wp 1, THEN move full speed to wp 2, then move normal speed to whatever waypoint after?

Thanks in advance

- Mongoose

Guest jacobaby

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC Mongoose @ April 02 2003,00:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So, I made a Trigger set to West Present (I couldn't think of how to set having the specific squad present in the Conditions line), synched it to the tank squad's waypoint set halfway across the river, and put<span id='postcolor'>

You can drag a GROUP line from a trigger to a group leader.

Try it, it will open up a world of possibility to you biggrin.gif

TJ

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jacobaby @ April 02 2003,02:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can drag a GROUP line from a trigger to a group leader.

Try it, it will open up a world of possibility to you   biggrin.gif

TJ<span id='postcolor'>

ARGH, I didn't know it was a GROUP line, I thought it was a Synchronize line (which obviously doesn't work)

Thanks TJ, I knew I was missiong something minor, just couldn't think of what. crazy.gif