HorribleGoat

Character scale difference between Reforger and Arma 3

I've posted this on the Arma Discord a while back but perhaps it can be useful here too:

Got a bit curious on the character size and had to test out what is required to fit out Arma 3 character to the new size so here are few observations:

+The Reforger man is 180 cm tall VS Arma 3 man at 182cm
+ This may be partly due to the different pose ( more straight limb A pose VS more relaxed A pose)

+ The shoulders are angled way more down and the back and neck curve differently, this gives the new skeleton/armature/character different posture and different reach
+ There are some differences to the limb and back proportions too and the hands are more natural shape.
+The lower body is relatively similar, the hips are slightly lower and there is small difference in the leg positioning but the leg differences are very small

+main challenge is the hands which are in very different pose (half grab VS A3 straight palm and fingers) and the difference in both bone length and different configuration mean older models will very likely need lot of hand/gloves tweaking or remaking to fit the new character as the pose cant comfortably be matched with the old A3 skeleton without some quite noticeable mesh and uvmapping deformation.

+ some models may have challenges with the shoulder areas too as the shoulders go way more down, which can lead to quite bad results if proper adjustments are not made.

In my test here I have not yet completed all the adjustments and the armored gloves of my armor suit will require full rework due to the issues mentioned above. They were made to fit the previous hand shape. The torso area is hard armor which I opted to keep rigid in place as well as the armored/powerarmory neck and helmet. The character head sinking into the suits neck works alright and requires only minimal fitting of the hood and helmet interior.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2