Sign in to follow this  
Lupus-WD-

Positional audio with nforce2

Quite similar to the infamous "distant footstep sounds" bug once experienced except for that the footsteps are not the issue but other sounds like crushed trees by vehicles, some tank shooting sounds... it renders the positional audio almost completely useless as it gives lots of erroneous data about the distance of fights or vehicles.

I don't have the feeling that it affects gunshots, or i havent noticed, and it doesnt seem to affect flying objects sound as it seems i can quite easilly figure out their distance and direction usually.

Nevertheless it could be related to altitude of the sound sources as i have an issue with my own footsteps wich i almost dont hear [as i almost dont hear some of others footsteps] unless i watch the sky and then clearly hear my steps behind.

I have to say that i have renounced to the use of EAX altho my board is supposed to support it because the sound are completely parasited with very loud noises. Still HW accel is on otherwise i wouldnt have a positional audio at all.

er... and no, i have no crackling and such bugs, if it wasnt for erroneous position of sound it would sounds like all is fine.

My motherboard is a ASUS A7N8X DELUXE (soundstorm), i have 4 speakers and the multimedia sound is configured for 4 speakers.

I'm playing OFP resistance 1.91

If someone has the same mb or a similar and is using positional sound, be it with or without bugs, i'd like to hear of them. Thank you.

I do have those crackling noises and sometimes positional audio does not work properly (guy on the left speaking -> sound coming from the front right channel).

OFP version I'm using is Resistance 1.90 (official), audio hw accel ON, eax OFF (OFP turns it automatically OFF).

Computer:

Windows XP Home Ed. + SP1

DirectX 8.1

Motherboard - ABIT NF7-S (nforce2 with APU and Soundstorm), nforce drivers 2.03 (WHQL sertified)

Speakers - Cambridge SoundWorks FPS1000 4.1 surround, 4-speaker settings for sound

Any ideas how to get rid of those loud noises? Is there some incompability issue with WinXP + DirectX8.1 + OFP + nforce2?

same chipset, same sound chip almost same drivers [i have the 2.00] but different problem...

You obviously have a installation problem, because if EAX doesnt work as intended on my system i can enable it when i want, as long as HW accel is on. And it always have been this way regardless of the driver versions. Check that your DXsound acceleration is set to the max in the advanced sound and multimedia preferences or with DXdiag.

The if you succeed with enabling EAX in OFP please report how it sounds on your system.

Crackling can be caused by IRQ conflicts... obviously you're using win XP [2.03 drivers] check the APIC (enable it to add extra interrupts if not enabled already) and check for IRQ sharing, games dont like too much that you share sound irq or video irq.

WARNING: it's APIC you must check for, not APCI, they are two different things.

I'd like some other inputs from other NFORCE2 with soundstorm owners...