Sign in to follow this  
Deathbysaw

Mission making

Will it ever be possible for average people to make missions that are cool? Is there an east to guide for mission editiong?

I make maps were I am flyin a Blackhawk and drop off a squad and we attack a platoon. Usually my guys get massacered. I would like a map were we fly in and then I get out with my platoon and the helicopter stays on site and provides fire support, also with a OH-58D or AH-1 with um

I will try and give you a ray of hope:

When I got my copy of OFP, I did not bother much playing with the editor, then I tried it a bit, learned a little more and made a cool mission with 2 UH60 MG´s coming to our base, picking us up and flying us to a neighbour island where the fight is about to begin. Russian rebels captured the island and we want it back. The UH60 drops all off on the beach, we lay down and one of the UH60´s takes off to get yet another group of soldiers, bring them back to us and the fight begins. During the fight, 2 of the UH´s circle above the island, shooting everything with the enemy label on it, that moves.

I spend some time making that mission, with quite a few cut scenes (showing stuff like paratroopers attacking our first base from above while we are pretty busy on the other island.. reinforements arrives by car from a town nearby to fight off the Spetznaz e.t.c.)

Then my PC crashed and I lost it all. I had several missions I was working on, lost everything, but that´s another story..

You can make very cool missions without being an expert or anything high level, just think what it would be like i.r.l. if you want some realism in it. Of course you will spend weeks doing really good missions, but you learn something new all the time and make an even better mission next time.

Just play with the editor, learn new commands and how to use them, and I am sure you will be another missionmaker ace! And never, ever give up if you bang your head in the wall and feel you are not getting anywhere.

Hidden

K well is there a way I can have helos fly to diff waypoints and stuff without being under my command?

that, mine friend, is rather easy. Just start playing around with waypoints such as move and load and getin and unloadtransport. Eventually you'll find yourself coming back here to ask the most popular q, how do I make guys parachute out of a chopper, and then people will yell at you and tell you to use the search, you will and then you'll find your answer. This however will only lead to another question of a different sort. And this continues on and on until your ready to complete your first mission and you want to do a briefing. At first you struggle with it, but eventually it becomes like second nature. And then, you've finally completed your first mission, and like any regular drug attic, your gonna want to make more. And more, and more, and more. Eventually you will come up with these "cool missions" you speak of.

(gasps for air)

And then your going to want to start learning about how to make cutscenes and intros and outros. (I am at this stage myself) and then from there I do not know where it goes.

(collapses from lack of O2)

(but rebounds right back up)