CANADAVE

Jets Targeting Pod - Point Track Not Locking Onto Vehicles (sometimes)

Practicing my CAS using the Wipeout.   After entering AREA track mode and slewing the cursor over a vehicle POINT track does not engage.  Happens about 50% of the time at all ranges from 2KM out to 8KM.  I've tested with stationary vehicles, hot vehicles (IR signature), cold vehicles, moving vehicles.  I've tried with the different weapons selected including laser designator, MACER, GBU...  I can't find a pattern as to why sometimes is locks on fine, and sometimes it doesn't enter POINT track at all.  In all cases sometimes it locks into POINT mode and sometimes it doesn't.  

Anyone else seeing this?  tips to solve or improve?  The inconsistency is driving me nuts. 

Running vanilla.   

Edited by CANADAVE
refined

"After entering AREA track mode and slewing the cursor over a vehicle POINT track does not engage."

Could you explain clearer? Which area? Which designator? Any reproducible simple test?

On 3/20/2021 at 5:36 PM, pierremgi said:

"After entering AREA track mode and slewing the cursor over a vehicle POINT track does not engage."

Could you explain clearer? Which area? Which designator? Any reproducible simple test?

Thanks for reply.

- flying any jet (I use Wipeout but have replicated using any jet targeting pod)

- fly around and find an enemy vehicle (doesn't matter what vehicle - truck, tank whatever)..

- Switch to targeting pod (here is a link to BIS wiki to show you default key binds for targeting pod use -> LINK)

- Enter AREA track mode and find enemy vehicle (default key bind LCTRL-T)

- Slew targeting pod cross hair over vehicle (moving or stationary) - targeting pod SHOULD switch from AREA mode to POINT track mode and lock on to the vehicle  when the cross hair goes over the target vehicle- if the vehicle is moving the targeting pod should track the moving vehicle

- sometimes (50% or more for me) the targeting pod does not switch to POINT track mode and will not lock on to vehicle