Agalloch

Using the "say" command on vehicles/objects

For a mission I was making, I wanted vehicles to play sounds from the radio, represented as having the sounds coming from the vehicle itself. I tried using the "say" command, but it would only work on individual units and not directly from vehicles or objects like an actual radio. I got around this by referring the sounds to cfgradio and having a script that detected when a unit was inside a specified vehicle to use the "vehicleradio" command on one of the crew members, although my original intention was that the sounds could also be heard outside the vehicle. However for future reference, is there any way possible for a sound source to come from an inanimate object? I know something like that is possible in the later titles, but I'm hoping that it may also work in this two decade old game.

edit: Just realized that it probably should be considered I'm using 1.96

cfgsounds that have already been defined in the game, or including custom ones from the description.ext? I tried both and neither worked for me. Only when I use the "say" command on a living unit, the "playsound" command, and using the "anonymous" category for the trigger effects section.

I define the sound in addon not in mission. My scripts for reference:

Spoiler

Definition in AddOn

class CfgSounds {
	sounds[] = {......, MCV_Deployed_xj200, ......};
	class MCV_Deployed_xj200 {
		sound[]={"\TZK_Sounds\uplace.wss",db-10,1};
		name = "MCV_Deployed_xj200";
		titles[]={};
	};
};

Script of empty vehicle:

_MHQ = _this select 0
_MHQ say "MCV_Deployed_xj200"

You could create a game logic and getPos / setPos it to the vehicle.

Game logics are able to use the say command.

Huh, both of you are actually right. The command works for both empty vehicles/objects and game logic. However when I use a custom sound that is like 12 seconds long and another that is 5 seconds, the "say" command does not trigger their sound classes. Any ideas? Thanks for helping me out by the way.