WIZZtheVIGILANTE

Noob Help with Respawns by Group

Hello! I am a noob at Arma 3 Mission Editing, but I am good enough with description.ext that I can throw a loadout picture into the mission and make a mission that is good enough for a community op. I am using 3DEN Enhanced, by the way.

My question is this: My community has a special forces detachment, helicopter pilot detachment, fighter pilot detachment, and regular infantry. Each of these groups have a separate slot in our lobby and each are in a separate unit in the editor. I would like to make respawns in different parts of the map for different starting positions for each unit. These are respawns that they can choose as a custom point.

I would like to accomplish the following:
A. Create four respawn points, with one visible to each group
or B. Create four respawn points, but only allow a particular group to respawn at each.

Thanks so much for the help beforehand, and thanks for taking the time to read this!

Edited by WIZZtheVIGILANTE

4 hours ago, WIZZtheVIGILANTE said:

Hello! I am a noob at Arma 3 Mission Editing, but I am good enough with description.ext that I can throw a loadout picture into the mission and make a mission that is good enough for a community op. I am using 3DEN Enhanced, by the way.

My question is this: My community has a special forces detachment, helicopter pilot detachment, fighter pilot detachment, and regular infantry. Each of these groups have a separate slot in our lobby and each are in a separate unit in the editor. I would like to make respawns in different parts of the map for different starting positions for each unit. These are respawns that they can choose as a custom point.

I would like to accomplish the following:
A. Create four respawn points, with one visible to each group
or B. Create four respawn points, but only allow a particular group to respawn at each.

Thanks so much for the help beforehand, and thanks for taking the time to read this!

Have a look at this:

http://killzonekid.com/arma-scripting-tutorials-respawn-on-marker/

You can create individual respawns for every unit if you want to.....

21 hours ago, dreadpirate said:

Have a look at this:

http://killzonekid.com/arma-scripting-tutorials-respawn-on-marker/

You can create individual respawns for every unit if you want to.....

Here's what I did:
I created two squads: Alpha Squad and Bravo Squad. I set the Squad Leader's role description for each as Squad Leader@Alpha/Bravo Squad for an easier time in the lobby.
I made all squad members playable, and I assigned Alpha SL as "squad1" and Bravo SL as "squad2".
I put down two empty markers, and named each of them "respawn_squad1" or the latter. I set Respawns to "Respawn on Custom Position" and did everything I needed to do for a normal server's players to be able to select and respawn on any available positions.

I loaded into the server and Respawns are disabled, probably because the game can't find any respawns.

I put down a respawn positon module (something I did not do in the beginning because it has its own options, with it almost always being universal (choose side: Leading Side, BLUFOR, etc.)) and I was able to respawn.
What did I do wrong?

Test #2: Using  code that I found in another thread, I did the following:
Spawned and made the following units playable:
Grenadier (B_Soldier_GL_F)
and Pilot (B_Pilot_F) 
I would imagine that the classname is the B_Somethingorrather_F?
Anyways, with that assumption I used this code:

player addEventHandler ["Respawn", {

if (typeOf _this == "B_Soldier_GL_F") then {_this setpos (getmarkerpos "GLRespawn"); } else { if (typeof _this == "B_Pilot_F") then {_this setpos (getmarkerpos "PilotRespawn"); };

}];

And put down two markers. "GLRespawn", and "PilotRespawn".
Double checked Respawn attributes. All is good. I loaded into multiplayer, selected each, and could not respawn with either. Respawn Disabled, probably because it couldn't find a respawn point.

I tried this out and you are right, there is a problem.

Killzonekid's method does work, but only if "Select Respawn Position" is disabled.

"Select Respawn Position" only recognises Module respawn positions, not marker positions, so you have to choose one or the other.....

I'm sure with some wack code you can make it work, but I will get back to you when I can make that work. Currently I can't even get on the ground because it has me stuck in the "select respawn position" screen. My operations only require one respawn for each unit (because we reinsert using vehicles) so....