Da Samckles

Need help with this one tough thing (re-texturing question)

So first off hello to everyone. New here and this is my first post. I am a newcomer to the world of re-texture and such, so sorry up front if my question is simple. I have a vest in arma that needs to be completely redone. I was only given a png of the file so I do not have the layers or anything. I am thinking I would have to etch out each piece and trim any excess separatly. However, that is where I run into an issue with the process. If I cut out each piece then the replacement of the pieces so they fit perfectly in game is what bothers me. I am not quite sure if there is a way to make sure everything fits or not. Any advice? Thank you in advance.

10 hours ago, Da Samckles said:

If I cut out each piece then the replacement of the pieces so they fit perfectly in game is what bothers me.

Everything fitting perfectly bothers you? I don't understand that.

10 hours ago, Da Samckles said:

I am thinking I would have to etch out each piece and trim any excess separatly.

What is your definition of etching out and trimming excess, what excess?

well since i only have the png to use i would need to cut and paste then trim any excess background from around the edges on each piece of the vest then replace each in the right manner to fold right, right? Like I said I am new so if there is an easier way then this I would love to know. thank you tons for any advice and/or help. Like I said all I have is the png for the armor set. Due to this limit for example i had to go and make a new normal map.

6 minutes ago, Da Samckles said:

cut and paste then trim any excess background from around the edges on each piece of the vest then replace each in the right manner to fold right, right?

I still don't understand what excess background you are talking about.

you mean the empty unused space on the texture? thats empty unused space, don't know why you would "trim" that?

7 minutes ago, Da Samckles said:

Like I said all I have is the png for the armor set.

Yes thats normal when doing retextures, as you don't have access to the model files.

if you cut each vest piece out you'de be left with a layer where it is just the black background and such things that arent being re-textured. That is what I meant by background. Is there an easier way to take a png that has letters and an ensignia on the vest and make it a blank white copy? that is my main goal off this .png. Thought I was thinking i had it figured out but now im starting to wonder lol

I figured I need a base layer in the project when i am putting camo onto the vest so i can layer it over easier right? I figured that would be the background i am speaking about.

Ah you are trying to split it into multiple layers?
When I made retextures in the past, I just paint over the existing texture.

And when making a full camo, usually just putting camo pattern on top, and playing with transparency did the job nicely

i watched a video where the guy had diff layers and then used a normal map with alpha stuff to make it blend perfectly. that is what I was going for. Is that wrong?

I had to do a bit but i got it figured out. texture looks great. Now i am just messing with code :). Thanks