Sign in to follow this  
Rouen58

Respawn options for players disconnecting

Hi there,

For reference: My coding skills are very basic at the moment (despite having a computing science degree, I haven't coded in over a decade).

I'm leading a newly formed unit, and typically we play small-squad based infantry operations with nil re-spawns, and little to no support and a 'one life' policy. What we're finding is that there are players who tend to have connection / network issues and are dumped from the game (either BSOD issues or the red link chain), and upon reconnecting, their original slot has vanished so they're unable to rejoin the game. The respawn system we specifically need is one that allows the players to rejoin the game after dropping, rather than a typical respawn system that is for players to come back to life after being killed.

My questions are:

1) If there are for example 6 players slots in a mission, in order to preserve the slot should a player disconnect due to technical issues, does "enable AI" need to be checked? I.e if "enable AI" is set to disabled, will the unit dissapear from the game as soon as the player drops / disconnects?

2) What's the best way to protect against this, and allow players to jump back in with the same loadout / equipment? I am actually of the view that respawning in the same position is fine as a solution, as we only allow respawns owing to technical issues. Is leaving the "enable AI" option set to 'enabled' enough - will it place an AI in the slot the dropped player was in, and allow the player to restart the game and take the slot back?

Or is a different solution required? Appreciate any help.

Thanks