Sign in to follow this  
David Shipley

"shoot" voice program. does it work?

It doesn't work for me, at least.

I fully installed it - even the Flashpoint profile. Everything is fine. I trained my voice, and tested out the microphone.

When I play OFP, nothing works. No matter what I say, nothing happens.

What do I do? The author explains nothing at his Web site, and provides no E-mail address.

wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GAMEER_77 @ Jan. 05 2003,15wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Did you remember to press caps lock? tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Either this has something to do with David Shipley's problem or you've been rummaging through my dental records.

edit: never mind! /avon bangs HEAD ON KEYBOARD!

YES, I HELD DOWN CAPS-LOCK (LIKE I'M DOING NOW).

Sorry.

I held down caps lock. I pressed caps-lock on and played the game. I pressed caps-lock off and played the game.

Nothing happened.

Funny thing, i just got Shoot yesterday, and was about to post about it. But not that it didn't work, but how cool it was to play OFP with it. Granted its a little pointless to use it for SOME things, but it really is fun to actually tell your AI what to do with your own voice. And you don't HOLD down caps lock, you just press it to toggle it. But i doubt thats the prob. biggrin.gif

Finally got it to work.

I've done six training sessions. Worked perfectly.

I even have a headset.

It still doesn't work right in the game. "Nine" equals "One." "Danger" means "Stay Alert." It won't even understand "Five..." except one time, where it understood it as "Fire!"

I've wasted enough hours on this thing. Was it made by someone in South America for free, or something like that? Figures.

P.S. I used to have Game Commander, and never had these problems -- in a way, it 'pays' to pay money.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (David Shipley @ Jan. 06 2003,01:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It still doesn't work right in the game. "Nine" equals "One." "Danger" means "Stay Alert." It won't even understand "Five..." except one time, where it understood it as "Fire!"

P.S. I used to have Game Commander, and never had these problems -- in a way, it 'pays' to pay money.<span id='postcolor'>

That's funny. My experiences are just the opposite - Shoot very rarely makes mistakes compared to GC.

Have you tried configuring the sensitivity of the SAPI speech engine? You may have set the sensitivity setting too high so it responds very quickly but misinterprets more often.

Could someone throw a link up to "Shoot"? I want to give it a shot, but I can't find it anywhere...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Stylez @ Jan. 12 2003,19:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Could someone throw a link up to "Shoot"?  I want to give it a shot, but I can't find it anywhere...<span id='postcolor'>

http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/

David,

I could see how those words are being confused. Why don't you try training different words. For example, instead of five, use fife, or niner instead of nine. OR you can train words that have nothing to do with the actual word, if you want your troops to be on danger mode, use the word punk, or make up your own. Hope this helps.

There's a better way, too. You can actually teach it new words individually, and re-teach words it already knows so they suit your pronounciation. Just use the "add word" -feature and pronounce the word like you usually do. That way it'll know how you pronounce the word and recognizes it every time.

Normally you don't have to teach words to the SAPI engine, but when it makes mistakes between two words it's good to re-teach both words so it knows the difference in your pronounciation.

I trained the Voice SDK only shortly and had great success with shoot. The only thing i dislike is that it doesn't seem to share my mic with other voice apps so it's useless in MP where i prefer voicecom with fellow players to a program to control the ai (which doesn't happen that often in mp).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (benu @ Jan. 13 2003,14:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I trained the Voice SDK only shortly and had great success with shoot. The only thing i dislike is that it doesn't seem to share my mic with other voice apps so it's useless in MP where i prefer voicecom with fellow players to a program to control the ai (which doesn't happen that often in mp).<span id='postcolor'>

It's supposed to work with voice comms. This is a quote from Shoot website:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I want to run Shoot and Roger Wilco (or some other voice chat program) but Shoot complains that it can't access the sound device.

Both Shoot and Roger Wilco, as well as other voice chat programs, need to access the audio input device (microphone) to operate. Some older sound drivers don't allow simultaneous by more than one program, though. In general, you should be able to get around this limitation by configuring both programs to only use audio input when a key or joystick button is pressed (e.g, Shoot's push-to-talk in "hold to enable" mode). Of course, the voice chat program must also have a similar PTT feature for this solution to work.

Unfortunately, although RW has a PTT mode, it does not behave "nicely" and does not relinquish control of the microphone when voice is not being transmitted. Upgrading your sound drivers to the latest version might help solve the problem. <span id='postcolor'>

I don't want to blame shoot, but it didn't work for me. Could be "old sound drivers" though (well, actually they are the newest but that does not have to mean they are good, cause they are from creative). Maybe i will give it another try. I had different ptt keys configured, but whenever i started the voicecom (either rw or ts2, not sure) first shoot would find no mic, when i started shoot first the voicecom would find no mic.