Sign in to follow this  
JOHN007

ARMA 2 Lock Shadow LOD Switch

Hello, hope everyone is doing great.

May I ask is it possible to prevent the shadow LOD switching resolutions on geometry objects? (High/Very High)

Basically we have always used the 'normal' settings for the shadows, its not the best rendering but the map shadows don't switch resolutions, unfortunately some new maps ie, Fallujah and Sahrani, if you have 'normal' shadow settings, the shadows render through the buildings, its hard to explain but you would literally see shadows floating vertically in front of objects. So fixing this issue is to set the shadows to either 'high' or 'very high', but this creates a LOD switch which looks horrendous, you see lines on the ground as the resolution increases.

This link describes the shadow rendering techniques in more detail but no luck in trying to attempt to lock the LOD.

The theory is to somehow try and lock the resolution to 1 only, which would render the shadows unified across the whole scene, the problem here is I agree that tracking is difficult when you see these bloody lines rendering on the ground and also shadows are switching resolutions ( Flickering also) as you move forward.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I believe this fix would make ARMA look spectacular.

Thankyou for your time and hope to speak soon.