Pyrit.

Get to Know - Roman Szomolai - Game Designer

Great news Outlanders! - Now you have the opportunity to get to know the #VigorTeam much better.
Every other week we are going to introduce one of our fellow team members with a set of 11 Questions right here on our Forum!

Let us know what do you think and do not hesitate to ask any additional question down below! 

Our first interviewee is:
wcykvmp4we921.thumb.jpg.d4e109a34088c63c2f09899601636715.jpg

What do you do on Vigor?
I am designing, that means that I come up with in-game systems and game rules. My primary domain on Vigor is monetization, meta-game layer (for example crafting and shelter) and economics. In the end, that means that I decide what will be the cost of the Suomi or how many levels of shelter we have. These systems, even though they may not seem like it, are very complex, and I learn something new every day. I work very closely with our UI department, marketing and cloud programmers

▶What is your contribution to the Vigor Team?
That is hard for me to judge. I believe I bring a positive attitude, empathy, and an open mind. Also bad puns, random social science facts, and pop-culture references.

▶What do you like about Vigor?
That is very specific, almost experimental in some way. From a design point of view, it offers a very unusual combination of approaches; that very often create particular challenges for us. For example: how we are going to match a player who spends thousand hours in-game with a player who played for two hours while making fights still interesting for both of them but also keep matches stable.  
How to pace combat in which anybody can leave and so on. So much space to be explored.  I would even say that it is alluring for me.

▶What do you want to see in Vigor?
I am really looking forward, weirdly enough, for monetization mechanics. It is kind of my baby.  Monetization in general (not only in games) is really fascinating to me because it combines a lot of different fields: UX, Design, PR, marketing, analytics and so on. We are preparing some non-standard mechanics and I am really looking forward to finding out how will fans like it, if it is going to work and so on.

▶What do you do when you are not making Vigor?
Actually bunch of stuff.

I teach communication skills, work with group and workshop design in the evenings and on weekends.
I am trying to learn how to throat sing and play guitar.
I want to become a life coach  (don't worry, I don't plan to leave Game dev any soon)
I do tons of reading
also, you know, love life is important...

▶Did game dev change your view on the games and how?
Yes, very. Now I see a lot of stuff that I haven't seen before. I can be fascinated by one sentence in a game for hours if it's well crafted. Now, even if I dislike some game features I find it fascinating to analyze why they have done it in this particular way and what they were trying to achieve.  There is so many more thing that I can wonder about in games. I also play way more than before.

▶Your favorite games and why?

My favorite games are civilization series (including Alpha Centaury), Deus ex-series, new X com series, Stellaris and Divine Divinity series. But of course, as a designer, I have to play a lot of different games.

▶What's your favorite music, movie, show, book and why?

My favorite band is Meshuggah, but I also like Childish Gambino and Thundercat.

My favorite movie is probably The Room.

My favorite show is Adventure time.

My favorite book is Non-Violent Communication: Language of Life by Marshall Rosenberg.

▶Is there something that you want to say to our community?

You are amazing, and we read your feedback every day. Keep it coming. Don't be afraid to share your ideas but if you can add reasons and needs, why you want something specific that is the most fabulous thing ever.

▶You are Outlander; humanity has fallen. What would you do?

Adjust internally to a new state of the world.
Find/create a right community of other survivors
start to think long term,
establishing a base of operation.
Help others not to get insane.
Enjoy possibilities of a new world.

▶What is your favorite joke?

Nah, I only tell jokes in person. but I really love my t-shirt with sign "Straight Outta Context."

Let us know in the comments down below what do you think about this idea and also if you have any additional questions.
You can also follow Roman on Twitter where he shares relatable things about life and other pearls of wisdom:  https://twitter.com/RoSzomak

• Like 3