Sign in to follow this  
kueppcera

Height limitation for shells?

i posted this in the troubleshooting forum already but i think it fits much better here:

Yesterday i used the 2S19 howitzer for some tests of indirect firing (artillery support).... up to 2500m the shells impacted into the ground, beyond that range i could only hear the shells approach ("sssssh")..... but then: no impact/explosion!

well i'm not a ballistics expert so i do not know what height is reached at a specific elevation, but as far as i know, the missile fired by a scud launched does not impact as well, right?

Is the fired scud deleted by script, or is there a limitation for shell/missiles above which they "disappear"? And: yes i know that the 2S19 is not an official add-on....but maybe Suma can say something about scud/shells disappearing?

Thx

Kueppcera

Each shell/bullet is given some "time to live" when created. This "time to live" is 3 seconds for bullets and 20 seconds for shells. If the shell exists (read "travels") longer than this time, it will be silently deleteted.

The purpose of this is to save CPU cycles by not simulating stray shells/bullets. Unfortunatelly those times are hard-set in the application and cannot be configured.

Ouch. That's got some unfortunate implictions for correctly modelling indirect fire...

Interesting information!

bullettime of 3 secs, so you also have a max distance you can fire uppon before your bullet vanishes into thin air.

max firing distance with gun in OFP:

s = v * t

s = 800 km/h * 3 secs = 2400 meter = 2,4 km wink.gif

Big thx Suma - that's what i was looking for.... good to know.

As i said above : 2,5 km with 2S19.......that's enough for all maps in OFP.

Topic can be closed.

But it's not a prob. With getVelocity and setVelocity we can re-create the shell every 20 secs so it can fly indefinitely on it's original trajectory.

Besides, with really long range stuff, once it clears local obstacles, you don't need to worry about it. Who cares what shells do in the bozosphere? As long as they splash where you want them to, the rest is gravy. In fact, it's really no problem at all: you fire the initial shell, check ten seconds later to see if it's detonated. If not, mark its trajectory, extend the plot, maybe swap in some splash data based on a real targeting point and some PE calculations lifted from some RW firing tables, then spawn the shell on the inbound trajectory 20 seconds before impact, and you're done. If you want to get fancy (and I sure as heck do), you can even create different fuzing/munitions effects.

Oh, and shells aren't "silently deleted" after twenty seconds. If they're explosive, they blow up.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh, and shells aren't "silently deleted" after twenty seconds. If they're explosive, they blow up. <span id='postcolor'>

i can't confirm that... sorry. The shells just disappeared after some time - i could hear them coming, but there was no impact....