Sign in to follow this  
scotg

VEHICLES: help with land contact alignment?

I have a sort of conundrum, I think. I have some vehicles that have a lower stance in the front than in the rear, including cars and airplanes.

Car: In Object Builder, the car is placed with its body level to the horizon. Its rear wheels hang lower than its front ones. With proper adjustments in the configs, I can get it to stand on all 4 wheels, leaning forward. The only drawback is that when there is extreme suspension motion the wheels slightly sink into the ground. I was just wondering if there is a better way of setting it up in OB and/or the configs, but still have that leaning forward look.

Airplane: Again, the plane body is level to the horizon - only in this case it's relevant to the how the plane levels when flying. The gears are all pre-compressed to their ground-resting positions, which makes the rear wheels dip lower. Configs are a little trickier than car, and when the plane starts off in-game the front tire is floating while the main (back) tires are sinking. Taxiing the plane corrects this a little, but it still looks bad. It's like it's trying to find the average between the front and rear LandContact mem points, and just sets the plane level there. This plane is based off the A10, and if you've ever seen the A10 taxiing, you'd notice its nose points down a little, compared to its level flight alignment. I'm hesitant to change the over all angle in OB. It might correct the taxiing stance with the drawback of disrupting its flight leveling, and possibly its performance. Again, is there a better way to set this up in OB and/or in the configs?

As it stands, vehicles in ARMA typically are modeled as if they are sitting still on the ground. The only reason I see for this, maybe, is to make aligning a character to the entry points a little easier. Alternatively, it seems like vehicles would be easier to set up in OB and configs as if they were floating, such that all suspension was extended to the max, and anything affected by gravity (except for the root object) was fully drooped. Then, allow the configs to handle how they rest on the ground based on individual suspension strength.