Sign in to follow this  
lhstler

Another idea of rts view and controls

The game is old enough to be played in 1st person but adding rts view and controls in the game will make it shine again.

I searched forums and I found the fwatch solution which is what I want to have in OFP

but it is too complicated, involves fwatch, a flat custom island and lots of tedious scripting. Isn't there an easier way?

I read that if we control camera in OFP we lose control of the player. But what about the following:

1) make player model invisible dummy unit, disable movement/fire controls and animation by script and fix player/head to the desired camera position

2) make a script which automatically adjusts player (camera) as other units move. It can also pan with the arrow keys.

About selecting and controlling units from rts view with mouse I think it's also doable because again technically player remains active and we control everything.

Will that work?

I am looking for an invisible model already but can't find it... Here it says there are  invisible dummy units in WW4 mod https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/134316-need-help-with-some-scritps/.